New Built sub enclosure not sounding right......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Brian

Yes it does have a pole vent so I may move around with dimensions a little...

And I've tried it in a sealed box a little larger than recommended and it sounded s+++...

Could you tell us how large the pole vent is (rough diameter)?

I'm going to disagree with Brian and say you probably don't need a full 1.5" between the motor and the back of the box, but it does depend on how large the vent is.

That's one of the pics mate with the top off for. ....

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-07-10-21-02-11.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-07-10-21-02-11.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 69
Ok, so here is the proper design with 2.0 cu ft of net volume. I just made it .75 deeper and adjusted the port length accordingly. This should also alleviate any potential concerns about the pole vent having enough room to breathe.

Attachments

• hcca-1.PNG
    hcca-1.PNG
    17.7 KB · Views: 104
  • hcca-2.PNG
    hcca-2.PNG
    32.5 KB · Views: 97
  • hcca-3.PNG
    hcca-3.PNG
    22.8 KB · Views: 102
  • hcca-4.PNG
    hcca-4.PNG
    10.3 KB · Views: 96
Hi mate...

Just checking out the box you designed...

I think you calculated the port as 12.5x3...
It suppose to be 12.5x3.5 to get 43.75 port area...
This is making the length around 50 inches...

Can you just confirm this please...
Cheers

Nope, I calculated it as 12.5 x 3.5".

If you are using WinISD, its going to give you a wrong number for port length because it doesn't properly compensate for end correction with 3 common wall slot ports, like what is in the design I gave you. What happens is the port interacts with the sides of the box and it performs like it is longer than it actually is. If you use the length WinISD gives you it will tune you lower than you intend.

The design I posted should be tuned to about 32 - 33 Hz. Tuning calculations aren't an exact science.

Hi all...

Been really busy last few weeks... Family commitments...

I've modified the same box to 2 cuft and I've extended the port to 45 inches rather than 44 inches as I miscalculated the length some how.. my bad...
It's all definitely air tight...

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions...

BIG BIG thanks to 'thejessman' ....

The Orion has come alive and it really really pounds almost everything...

Bass around 40hz-55hz is pretty impressive which I thought would be lost due to lower tuning and below 40 I'd guess early 30s the Orion is a BEAST... its really slamming the those lows now...

In a few weeks I'll hopefully be building a new box for it...
May need help lol...

Trying to post some pics of it but it's not allowing it...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.