Sub for Office - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2016, 04:59 AM   #1
BunBun is offline BunBun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Sub for Office

Need to build a sub for at the office. Room is about 400-500 sq. ft. and the unit will but sitting under my desk. Speakers are Mirage Omni-150 running off a Denon receiver.

All music, but I prefer my subs tuned lower. I like the sub on my Klipsch Pro Ultra 5.1. On my home theater I have a Paradigm Monitor SE Sub which is the only sealed sub I have ever liked but its still missing the low end punch I like.

So I am undecided between a ported or 4th order bandpass enclosure.

Pictures of my setup. Sub position isn't 100% fixed, I can move it around under the desk some.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Read the creative sound trio 12 was highly reccomended. Couldn't find it on the site but see a combo 10" sub with amp for under $400.

Creative Sound - Product Details

Is there a better bang for buck than this? Or for my application? The 24.5Hz vented tuning example in the spec sheet sounds pretty close to what I want.
Old 15th June 2016, 08:14 PM   #2
SS4927 is offline SS4927  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunBun View Post
Need to build a sub for at the office. Room is about 400-500 sq. ft. and the unit will but sitting under my desk. Speakers are Mirage Omni-150 running off a Denon receiver.

All music, but I prefer my subs tuned lower. I like the sub on my Klipsch Pro Ultra 5.1. On my home theater I have a Paradigm Monitor SE Sub which is the only sealed sub I have ever liked but its still missing the low end punch I like.

It could use some kind of bass boost or EQ, looks like the PE only has the basics main level and crossover. An EQ will give it deeper punch.

I wouldnt get the kit because it comes with a bash. They made a lot better plates up to a point.
Old 15th June 2016, 08:27 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Would the kit with the Yung be better? Creative Sound - Product Details

I have first hand experience with BASH poor quality (Klipsh amps) but don't want to spend a ton of money on this either.

What plate amp would be better? I was looking at Class-D boards on ebay but then would need a power supply and make an enclosure.

Part of me thinks I need to go up to a 12" woofer, not sure why. Don't really want a 20"x20"x20" box under my desk to kick with my foot. Most of the time this will at very moderate listening levels as to not annoy others in the office, but I do have times after hours and on weekends that I can crank it while I work.

Last edited by BunBun; 15th June 2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 16th June 2016, 01:04 AM   #4
SS4927 is offline SS4927  Canada
diyAudio Member

Other than sound you'd hardly notice a couple sealed 8's stowing away under that desk. Id try one at each end.

Whats the most you would like to spend to arrive at a finished sub?
Old 16th June 2016, 01:30 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I was thinking around $400-500 CAD. Ideally $300 but I realize I wont get what I want for that.
Old 16th June 2016, 01:43 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

A pair of Creative Sound SDX10? I built a push-push stereo pair for my system.

dave
Old 16th June 2016, 06:57 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Was really only wanting a single sub.

I am leaning towards the Creative Sound - Product Details

If the curve for the larger enclosure can be believed it looks like that would go low enough for my preference and would mate well with the -3db 55Hz of my Mirage speakers.
Old 16th June 2016, 07:14 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

You don't have to build a pair… i was pointing out that i had.

That kit looks fine. When i looked at all the CSS drivers i decided the 10s had the best HF response and went low snuff. I am also partial to push-push pairs in a box. The active vibration cancelation of the push-push pair significantly reduces the load on the box (ours are built with 15mm BB and i have to turn them up 10dB above loud to get the box move -- and that could well be caused by harmonics as the amp clips)

dave
Old 16th June 2016, 07:36 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I did like the Klipsh which is side firing push-push with 8's.

This is being used in an office though so very rarely will be played at reference levels.

Someone else pointed me to Rythmik Audio 12" Servo subwoofer " GR 12" Custom Installation subwoofer

Which I like the idea of direct servo and didn't realize they had kits that cheap... but after exchange and shipping that's $730 CAD
Old 21st June 2016, 12:14 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4927 View Post
It could use some kind of bass boost or EQ, looks like the PE only has the basics main level and crossover. An EQ will give it deeper punch.
This got me thinking and I found Equalizer APO for windows and downloaded it.

It's helped a bit at home, still need to play with it. Really need to get a mic.

But at the office is where its really helped. Boosted 20Hz by 6db, 33Hz by 10db, and 63Hz by 8db with -15.7db on the preamp. These speakers amaze me.

Looking at the response graph of the sub I used to have here, perfectly flat from 55-65Hz and dipped at 80, peaked at 48Hz, -3db @ 40Hz -10db @30Hz . Bandpass with a 8" driver. I liked this sub other than it didn't go low enough. I might actually see if I can find a plate amp I can replace the one it had with. Hopefully it didn't have too much DSP going on that I wont be able to replicate.

Still looking at the SDX12B http://www.creativesound.ca/pdf/Duet12XBL.pdf. My only fear is the high end roll off would be too much. Been playing with Equalizer APO for windows, maybe I can compensate for any lacking in the 60Hz-80Hz range with EQ.

Hide this!Advertise here!