Sub for Office

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well after a bunch of reading on other builds people have done with the SDX12 I am now thinking of getting the CSS Quartet12XC kit. SDX12 dual PR and Dayton plate amp.

Lower extension, bit more output and seems to be the happy place for these drivers. Plus Dayton plate amp instead of the bash or messing around with the Behringer. Good price on the kit in Canada right now; ~same price as ordering a SDX12 and NU1000DSP.

Thinking back on adding a plate amp to the design and wanting to keep the back of the woofer clear, does the orientation of the PRs matter much?

After reading this AE Speakers --- Superb Quality, Unforgettable Performance, Definitely.

The configurations that make sense are either front or down firing with PRs side firing (opposte eachother).

Downfiring can put the plate amp on the top. That might be dumb.

I think I will make an aluminum enclosure for the plate amp I can attach to the back of the sub enclosure.

So sub facing away from the wall, and 1 PR away from the desk and the other towards the desk. How much room should there be between the PR and the desk wall? Maybe downfiring would be better with one PR towards the wall and other away from the wall.

Last edited:
Darn these choices. I go most of my life complaining about lack of choices but then complain when I have them...

What I like about the CSS Quartet12XC is its a lot of value and is all Canadian (being a Canadian myself). Well I suppose the Dayton amp isn't, but the rest is.

Also I could then build two enclosures; 1 sealed and 1 PR. Then compare the two and decide which I like better. Could be fun.

Joined 2013
Paid Member
The CSS is a very nice subwoofer, I've only heard it sealed but I was impressed. Don't remember which amp it had though.
I personally I like PR subs bc you get the ported efficiency but the smaller box makes them versatile.
You could possibly change the length of the box so you could put woofer on bottom, PRs on each side and still put the amp on the back. That would be my design choice.

Yes I find the PR concept interesting for that very reason.

Thing is I have never heard a well made sealed sub and thus have never heard a sealed sub that I liked. My Paradigm SE Sub is the best sealed I have ever heard but its 11" cubed. It's amazing for such a small thing but I still don't' care for it.

So part of the wanting to make a sealed sub is to see if I can ever like how a sealed sub sounds. Then if I don't I can just use the PR design.

Better. A direct path to the back of the box would be better, but that plat amp… last time we did a sub with a plate amp, we put it into an add-on box on the back of the real woofer box.

dave

How's this? Re-designed the sealed enclosure assuming I am going to externally mount the plate amp or use a "pro" amp of some sort.

CXtVxJb.png

A0uF0aS.png

Ob1jNPh.png

Detail Drawing <--- Link

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.