Powering DVC subwoofer with stereo amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a 15-inch dual voice coil subwoofer driver (from DIY Cable if memory serves) that I want to power using a spare stereo amplifer.

What is the best hook-up option? Can I use both channels somehow?

I guess it is not a simple matter of hooking up one channel to each voice coil?

Nope, actually it is. One of the few neat things you can do with DVC subs. Just make sure that the impedance of each coil is equal or greater than the minimum impedance per channel of the receiver. e.g. if each coil is 2ohm and the receiver is 4ohm minimum you may overheat your receiver at medium to high volumes. Also make sure the polarity of each coil is correct so they don't fight each other.

Lastly, you will need some sort of low pass filter for a proper subwoofer. Given that you're using a stereo receiver, I doubt that's built in.

Thanks for that. Was thinking I'd have to go about bridging and that kind of palaver. Never realised it could be so simple! Will make sure of polarity.

And yes, I have an active crossover already, and the amp, which is one of the original Aksaonline examples, is good for fairly low impedances. It seems to drive pretty much anything I've hooked it up to, including a pair of OB 15-inch drivers without raising a sweat.

Cheers

Peter

I have a 15-inch dual voice coil subwoofer driver (from DIY Cable if memory serves) that I want to power using a spare stereo amplifer.

Hi luigi,

Have a look at my Pictures of a DVC Driver that I've investigated:
Maybe they will help you.

b:)

Attachments

• Bravox EXS15D-2_15inch-DVC_Consistency-Check.JPG
    Bravox EXS15D-2_15inch-DVC_Consistency-Check.JPG
    569.1 KB · Views: 253
  • Bravox EXS15D-2_15inch-DVC.JPG
    Bravox EXS15D-2_15inch-DVC.JPG
    638.2 KB · Views: 260
If the amp has adequate punch it might even perform better than your typical D class sub woofer amp. I know of a couple upper tier sub manufacturers that still employ A/B amplifiers when they could simply convert over to D class at a lesser expense.

That approach should work fine.

SS4927 said:
If the amp has adequate punch it might even perform better than your typical D class sub woofer amp. I know of a couple upper tier sub manufacturers that still employ A/B amplifiers when they could simply convert over to D class at a lesser expense.

That's exactly how my home theater sub is setup. Pioneer 7.1 receiver sub (LFE) output to rca y-adapter to a stereo input of a Yamaha 5.1 receiver wired to a Kicker 15 L7 DVC 4ohm.

Last edited:
I found that the (sealed) enclosure Im using is too small, so doubled up on volume and the result was much improved. Im using an old Adire Tempest 15-inch driver, downfiring, and it seems to work nicely, though 50wpc per side isn't really quite enough. I have a Ref Gallo subamp that's good for about three times that, only it's not working at present, so will now makean effort to get that fixed. Should do the job nicely.

A change of amp to a Naim clone (80wpc per side) has really livened the sub up, and now that internal volume is around 100L it has a bit of kick to it, and really seems to load the room in deep passages during film and on low notes for music. Never realised sealed subs could be quite so decent.

As many others have already answered, it's perfectly valid. One caveat though; you must make sure that your connections are in-phase. Reverse-wiring of one of the coils would make the loudspeaker very stiff and may overload the amp. Now, there would not be much bass, so I guess you would figure out soon there's a problem. Just make sure that, in case you think the system lacks bass, don't insist and check the connections.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.