Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Anyone know a fix for a Sunfire sub?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th July 2016, 10:00 PM   #11
XsamuraiX is offline XsamuraiX  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have not checked anything yet, I'm only a novice at this sad to say. I do know how to test components to see if they are faulty, that's about it.

I only presumed if it powers up at least there can't be that much damage?
Old 27th July 2016, 10:02 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Oh, I can't find a service manual anywhere, I don't think one is available due to other companies copying Sunfires designs...
Old 28th July 2016, 02:24 AM   #13
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

You need special training to service these. Don't push into areas that you really don't stand a chance of repairing it properly. It really is a dangerous thing to be working around in, and they are capable of delivering huge amounts of power under normal conditions. One that isn't working properly could deliver voltages far in excess of the designed values. That spells both surprise and injury to you.

-Chris
Old 28th July 2016, 02:43 AM   #14
jblauvelt is offline jblauvelt  United States
diyAudio Member

The caps used in the amp are known to be poor quality.

I used Flannery's Vintage Audio Repair to repair my sunfire sub. Ran about $300 to repair.
Old 28th July 2016, 03:34 AM   #15
bolserst is offline bolserst  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XsamuraiX View Post
In short I have 2 Sunfire HRS 10's, one just went down, still turns on, so the power rail must be good as no blown fuses...
Had a Sunfire(can't remember model #) with similar symptoms some years ago and tracked the problem down to a single "hidden" fuse on one of the smaller boards. I believe it was 150mA, used to power some house-keeping portion of the circuit. From visual inspection, it looked good(could still see fuse wire in place) but when tested with ohm-meter it was open. Replaced it and has been working ever since. Perhaps you have something similar.
Attached Images
File Type: png SunfireSub_Fuse.png (484.8 KB, 130 views)
Old 28th July 2016, 10:02 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Damn, I guess I'll leave it well alone then, just take Bolserst's idea, if not I'll bin it as Sunfire never replied to me I'm better off getting a new one, maybe a DXD-12012...
Old 28th July 2016, 02:47 PM   #17
Zwiller is offline Zwiller  United States
diyAudio Member

Sure an authorized shop is best but in the absence of one I would at least try a competent repair shop to give it a shot. Call around. The good shops/techs are well known to enjoy a challenge. Did you try InvisionUK per Sunfire site?
Old 28th July 2016, 03:06 PM   #18
andrewlebon is offline andrewlebon  India
diyAudio Member

Flannery's Vintage Audio Repair
Old 28th July 2016, 05:01 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I just did a continuity test on the fuses, all OK.

But I noticed it actually doesn't quite turn on, my bad. It tries to turn on, the power led never goes green but quickly flashed red, then goes back off. Possible power cap issues maybe? I can hear what sounds to be a relay clicking.

Cheers Andrew, but the Flannery's Repair service is too far, I'm in England and it would cost around $145 just to have it sent there.

I think it is really pathetic Sunfire ignored me, may go for some REL's or DXD's next, at least they can be repaired here and have helpful friendly tech teams

Last edited by XsamuraiX; 28th July 2016 at 05:09 PM.
Old 28th July 2016, 05:09 PM   #20
bobthedespot is offline bobthedespot  United States
diyAudio Member

Seriously, find the thermistor and check it. Your symptoms are exactly like all the amps I have bought and fixed with that issue.

Anyone know a fix for a Sunfire sub?Hide this!Advertise here!