Subwoofer driver up to 400 USD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I decided 2 build a new subwoofer for my Martin Logan ESL Speakers, it's going to be sealed enclosure with one driver and
elektronic equalisation...

So there's a question of driver... my objectives are: fast, clean deep bas, my room is 32 sq meters... bass extension is important
but not crucial, I prefer fast, rhytmic bass, the one that stays in
controll all the time...

What about Focal 13 W 8711...? What about Focal drivers 4 use
in subwoofers? If Focal, then would Sandwich-W be optimal or
maybe go for Polikevlar or Polyglass woofers?

Would a driver of this size be good for my room or would it be too
small/big (Mmd 150g) ... ?

Thanks,

esl

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Look at Volt drivers.

www.voltloudspeakers.co.uk

These are simply the best there is for quality but in no way comparable to others in pure SPL terms and extension.

If your looking for the best they do then I'd recommend the 2500.1 - a very modest looking driver but possibly the most detailed and analytical 10" driver ever created.

You will be astonished at its precision and depth from such a modest frame. Rel have one of these drivers in there Stentor III and that goes to 11hz -6dB!

For a retailer in your country check here:

http://www.voltloudspeakers.co.uk/About_Us/about_us.html

Pretty sure you'll be looking at around 400euro's but it worth every cent.

How about a 27cm or 30cm Eton woofer? From Tronicaudio you can get them for 310 Euro or 416 Euro, but that includes VAT (~16%) for countries in the European Union. (I'm not sure, have Poland joined yet?)

I think the Eton woofers are good because they have stiff cones with a high break-up frequency of over 2kHz, which is better than what many 17cm midwoofers can achieve.

The hard part with the crossover may be working out the low-pass filter rather than equalization. The ESL may have a high cut-off frequency such as 150Hz, but at 6dB/octave. This can make it difficult to design a crossover that makes a subwoofer blend in well.

CM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.