Tham15 with kappalite 12LF - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th May 2016, 11:55 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tham15 with kappalite 12LF

Hi!

Short story: I built two tham 12 with some kapplite 12LF I had from dsimantled BFM T39. While being ok , I always tought there could be an improvement not because of the design which I think is amasing but mostly from what I heard from the experts ( specially JBells).Those drivers seem to like big cabinet

I did simulate the same speakers in the THAM15 and I got a revelation.
The simulation gives me similar output ( at 1 watt) as if you where using the original B&C 15". 100db @ 46.8dB, down to 98.4 " 75 and back to 100 @ 129.6hz

Two questions: 1-How do I post pictures of the hornresponse graphs?
2- Can any experts confirm my toughts? If so, what would be the best width for the cabinets?

I'm willing to give it a try and build one cabinet if it looks promising.

Thank in advance

Sylvain (Ze french dude from Montreal)
Old 13th May 2016, 12:55 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyslam View Post
1-How do I post pictures of the hornresponse graphs?
If you're using Windows 10, ALT-PRINT SCREEN will automatically save a copy of the open window to your OneDrive\Pictures\Snapshot folder. To post it to this forum, just click on the "Manage Attachments" button when creating your message - it should open a new page that allows you to select and upload images, which is what you can do for the image you just created.

Quote:
2- Can any experts confirm my toughts? If so, what would be the best width for the cabinets?
I can confirm your findings. I've got a HornResp model of the THAM15 and I substituted the 8 ohm version of the Kappalite 12, and I'm seeing the same sim'd results.
Old 14th May 2016, 05:42 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
How do I post pictures of the hornresponse graphs?
See the post linked below:

Hornresp
Old 14th May 2016, 04:33 PM   #4
Zwiller is offline Zwiller  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Steele View Post
If you're using Windows 10, ALT-PRINT SCREEN will automatically save a copy of the open window to your OneDrive\Pictures\Snapshot folder. To post it to this forum, just click on the "Manage Attachments" button when creating your message - it should open a new page that allows you to select and upload images, which is what you can do for the image you just created.

I can confirm your findings. I've got a HornResp model of the THAM15 and I substituted the 8 ohm version of the Kappalite 12, and I'm seeing the same sim'd results.
+1 same here but no cone volume data entered. While fooling I used 7000/860.50 from a 15 I think and although I lost a db at 50hz it brought low corner up to 96db @ 40hz... Me likey. Holding off sawdust until I find a <200l cab with 97db @ 40hz.
Old 14th May 2016, 04:47 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwiller View Post
+1 same here but no cone volume data entered. While fooling I used 7000/860.50 from a 15 I think and although I lost a db at 50hz it brought low corner up to 96db @ 40hz... Me likey. Holding off sawdust until I find a <200l cab with 97db @ 40hz.
You could try rejigging the sim in HornResp, then using my THAM spreadsheet to work out the folding of the horn. Getting it at or above 97dB in a sim in HornResp with a cabinet that small is likely going to be a challenge however. This is the best I could do so far, using an SS15-type fold. I'm not even sure if it can be folded up into a horn and still keep the same sim parameters, LOL.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2016-05-14.png (25.1 KB, 77 views)
Old 14th May 2016, 05:30 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Here are the two output graph. Still try to figure out what makes such a huge difference between both. I suppose it's the lower BL.

One question: I built my tham with 15mm Baltic Birch. Do you think I could use the same thickness for the THAM 15 or should I stick with the original 18mm to avoid resonance?

tks
Sylvain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tham 12 KL12LF.jpg (80.5 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg tham15 KL12LF.jpg (76.3 KB, 69 views)
Old 16th May 2016, 06:43 PM   #7
Zwiller is offline Zwiller  United States
diyAudio Member

If you're comparing 4ohm with 8ohm I noticed that too, but not really sure why. I think the ply thickness aren't a huge concern as long as it properly braced but tend to look at 15mm as lighter duty/install and 18mm being a bit more road worthy.
Old 17th May 2016, 10:13 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

in windows 7 and 10 press the 'windows' key and type in 'snip' it much easier then using printscreen.

Hide this!Advertise here!