diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Subwoofers (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/)
-   -   Sub Design? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/2907-sub-design.html)

cj.9 29th March 2002 07:38 AM

Sub Design?

Hi,

This is my first post so take it easy.... I would like to build a second sub to add to my current home theater system, (B&W DM300 series - front ,center, surrrounds and asw500 sub. Denon 1802 recvr.)

I am thinking of using the Dayton 12" Titanic MKII in a vented box , EBS.
The white paper posted for the MKII Vented gives the following:
Box Volume 4.83 ft3
Fb 19.47 hz.
Vent 4"D x 15.2" L

Anechoic Response
F3 21.43 hz
F10 15.1 hz
Output @ 20hz - 101.5db

Typical In-room response
F3 13.7
F 10 11.0hz
Output @20hz- 119 db

I am planning to use Model 50-6281 250 watt sub amp from MCM Electronics and use Sonotube for the enclosure with MDF top and bottom.

I used the Sonosub Construction Kit software to calculate .
The software says the 24" Sonotube will be 21.78" and the port will need to be 4"by 15.2"

This will be my first DIY speaker project and I would like some opinions or suggestions. I'm not a true audiophile but I am slowly learning.

Please let me know if I'm on the right track or out in left field.

Thank you.

griff 29th March 2002 08:55 AM

a similar project worth considering would be the 12" Shiva
http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/Vent...plications.PDF
page 20-24 is the project i refer too directly

im in the process of building one now, ive heard some wicked reviews on it though, ill let you know.

cj.9 30th March 2002 08:34 AM

The Shiva looks great. How close are you? Any pictures?

I ordered the amp from MCM yesterday. Not sure how long that will take, but I won't be able to get started for a couple of weeks anyway. If I don't decide on the speaker ,it may be a little longer.

Keep me updated on your progress....

:)

griff 30th March 2002 09:27 AM

getting close. ill post complete pictorial when is complete, hopefully soon after my bookshelves are done.

cj.9 30th March 2002 03:28 PM

How some details on the bookshelves?????

rolfy72 1st April 2002 07:54 AM

vents

Griff, howdy.
With the 142.5ltr vented shiva are u using flared ports, if so where did u get them from?
Im going build the 85ltr vented shiva but cant find the flared ports in australia, so I was thinking of making the box with a slot port any ideas?
Whats the go with correction factor on slot ports? something about friction of the air in the port?how do u work it out?I use Winisd which doesnt factor this in I've heard?
help!:confused:
thanks Rolfy72

griff 1st April 2002 08:06 AM

Slot port isnt really the way to go, from what ive heard if u dont stick to the plans pretty accurately then they will turn out a little less then anticipated.

There is a place in Melbourne that can do the Flared port and they have another nice trick that you might be interested in, i am looking for the same ports and i am going in tomorrow to pick up my SEAS drivers and looking at the ports. I will get pricing etc for you and be back in a day.

rolfy72 1st April 2002 08:07 AM

Thanks keep us posted!
What is wrong with slot ports?
I've built a few car enclosures with slots and they work well, apparently if u dont use the correcting factor the port is tuned lower than estimated by Winisd/speaker simulators?(that's not bad is it, unless u are tuning really low)

griff 1st April 2002 08:25 AM

the only problem i would have is that it is untested with this particular system, and the flared ports are available so y not use them.

griff 3rd April 2002 05:58 AM

this is a stupid question i know, but i need it answered non the less.

can i have ported speakers with a sealed sub?

(sorry, having a mental blank here)