Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th April 2002, 10:35 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to rolfy72
Cant see why not!
Old 9th April 2002, 12:40 AM   #12
griff is offline griff  Australia
diyAudio Member

just took delivery of my Shiva, its a beast, will be taking a full pictorial on a digital camera and will post as necessary.
Old 9th April 2002, 02:22 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

cj.9, I made my first sub with sonotube, I used a NHT 12" with a 250 watt amp. The enclosure was sealed. I did not like the looks of the sonotube and after about 2 months I built an MDF enclosure. I cant recall the exact volume but can send it if you need it. I wanted very low bass and did not want the enclosure sympathetically vcibrating so I put alot of braces in the inside. When it was complete I finished it in cherry. My main speakers are 2 way Seas excel magnesium with seas excel tweeter. The sub is great for movies but tends to be too much for normal music listening, the room it is in is about 18 by 14. I think the sub would be better in a larger room. Just another opinion!
Old 9th April 2002, 03:47 AM   #14
Super is offline Super  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Super
I built a Shiva sonosub and love it. Ported, tuned to 16hz, but I go down to about 13 in room, and the rest is room resonances. Used in conjunction with an AVA-250 amp, barely feeding it any power for music for proper integration (doesnt take much to overdo it). The thing can pump out SPLs like its nobodys business, yet its very tight. Perhaps the most important thing was fiddling with the phase on the crossover, its just under 180, and it eliminated any "lag" associated with the transients otherwise.

Only thing I saw wrong with that original design was the in room f3 of 13hz. On a sub tuned to 21hz, that seems a bit of a reach in my opinion.

Oh, and if that amp comes with a bass boost, I strongly recommend disabling it. That thing will really make your music sound horrid (theres no easier way to put it, its truly annoying).
Old 9th April 2002, 11:41 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

im working on the 142 litre shiva now, got all the bits, all i need to do is the 24 holes!
Old 10th April 2002, 06:43 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

just booted the shiva up, in room, no cabinet, just on an open baffle, quite bassy, should have completed cab in a few days, couple questions first though, does anyone know the length for the center tube? does the driver fire from inside or outside the box?
Old 18th April 2002, 02:54 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

cj:

Speaking of the Sonosub construction kit, do you happen to know if it takes into account any stuffing being used?

I'm about to start building my first Shiva sonosub and am trying to make sure I get everything right the first time

I think I'm going to go for the 85L version. Seems like a good compramise between accuracy and HT use.
Old 18th April 2002, 04:17 AM   #18
Jean is offline Jean  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Jean
Hello Griff,

would it be possible for you to take some good close up shots of the shiva ? I am curious to see what it looks like up close

I am working on a subwoofer using blueprint 1201 and a smaller one using two clarion 10" woofers.

thanks
Old 18th April 2002, 07:42 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

ok, i have the port info for u rolfy72

you can get a really similar port in one of 2 places, jaycar has a good flared port for around $13 or you could get the Aeroport PNR kit for $45

i will post pics soon
Old 19th April 2002, 04:08 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Austin
Default 142L ported shiva

I made this design last summer and I have been very pleased. The bass is not overpowering for music as many commercial subs are. The EBS alignment can really shake the walls for home theater though. I would guess weight around 100lbs, very heavy. The design recommends no stuffing, but I found lining the walls with a small layer of polyester stuffing made response a little more smooth. Also, take extra care to make sure there are no air leaks in any of the joints. Keep us updated on your progess.

Hide this!Advertise here!