Sub Design?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
MKII update

Ok, It's been a while , but this is where I'm at so far.

Ordered and recd. the following:

250 watt sub amp from MCM, Part#300-794
Dayton 12" Titanic MKII (looks very cool):D
4" flared port, both ends

I have decided not to use sonotube ( could only get full 12' section at 120$ and no place to store remainder of tube)

Current plan is to build Vented EBS MDF Enclosure,still 4.83ft3 but tuned to 18hz. Plan to use 2 layers of 3/4" MDF.

Any Ideas on internal Brace Design?

I plan to use a 2"x14"x37" slot port.

Is there some reason not to go with a slot port?

Is anyone else working on an enclosure for the MKII?

I'm have been using CADstd freeware program to design box.
If anyone would like to have a look at the dwg.s I have so far , I would be glad to email them. They are in Word Doc. form and the size is 95kbs.

It will be a couple of weeks before I am able to start work on the enclosure.

later.....

box weight

cj.9,
My box is 142 litres (5.0cu. ft.), and only has one layer of 3/4" MDF. The thing weighs over 100lbs. There is absolutely no vibrations at all. I have 3 internal braces also. I would not recommend using 2 layers of 3/4". You will need a dolly to move it if you do. If you want to go all out use 1". You really do not need more than that. I used heavy duty liquid nails on the joints and the thing is solid as a rock. You would be better off using the extra MDF on the internal bracing. I assure you the sub will not vibrate, but the rest of the house will!

Austin

Internal Brace Design?

Cool , 5 cu.ft. What are the exterior dimensions? Do you have any photos?

Where can I find dwgs. of the internal brace design ?
I would be glad to go with a single layer of 3/4"MDF ( Haven't seen any 1" at Home Depot or Lowes').

More Questions....

I didn't explain in the earlier post , but I was thinking of using a sloted port (2"X14")because it had been suggested that a 4" Dia vent would be to small and cause huffing.

What is the acceptable Vent Mach# ?
I'm using Box-Port Design program and come up with
Vent Mach<0.12 , Is this ok?

Would I be OK to use the same enclosure measurements as the Shiva 142.5 Liter( 5.032ft3)vented Design?
The volume I need is 4.83ft3 , but after the bracing in the Shiva Design I think it must be close to that......not sure how to calculate the volume of the bracing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.