8" Subwoofer amperage requirements - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th February 2004, 12:22 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 8" Subwoofer amperage requirements

I recently purchased an older Onkyo (Made by Audiosource) 8" powered, front-firing subwoofer with some surround speakers. The subwoofer didn't include an ac adapter and it appears that it requires one, but it only shows 18.5v next to the plug. I didn't have any luck finding specs on the internet for this subwoofer (or one similar). The only 18.5v ac adapters I can find are for laptops and the output amperage range is between 2A and 4A. Does this seem too high for this size of subwoofer? My little 4" computer powered subwoofer only requires 0.52A and I am wondering if 2A-4A seems a little much. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
theholmboy
Old 26th February 2004, 12:42 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The ability of an adapter to put out more current than you need does not disqualify it's use. The real question is "is 4 amps enough?" Try it out.
Old 26th February 2004, 01:15 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks

I think 4A will be enough. Thanks for your help...

RHH

Hide this!Advertise here!