Dayton Titanic in Australia

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey everyone, I have been itching to upgrade my subwoofer ever since i found that 105db doesnt Sound as loud as it does on paper. I have a peerless 850146 in a 100L ported box and i yearn for more power. I was looking at the Shiva but then i was drawn away by the fact that our exchange rate is very good at the moment so ordering dayton from the US might actually be cheaper for what i could get.
I had a look and found the Dayton 15" Titanic mkIII, its attribute that appeals most to me is 91db and 20mm xmax yay. I have a 200w 4ohm plate amp and it would be great to have a higher efficieny subwoofer. but this driver says 91db 2.83v. whats this equate to compared to the shiva (easier to get and smaller box).
Sorry if i seem a bit vauge but im shopping:rolleyes:
thanks guys

http://www.adireaudio.com/diy_audio/drivers/adire/tempest.htm

The Tempest is $50USD cheaper than the Dayton Titanic MkIII, though has a slightly lower sensitivity. The Tempest has a 33mm peak-to-peak excursion, which may or may not be higher than the 20mm xmax of the Titanic, because it doesn't say if it's peak-to-peak or one-way.

EDIT: The Titanic supposedly has a displacement of over 3L, which I assume to be p-p. Since the displacement of the Tempest is only about 2.5L p-p, I guess the p-p excursion of the Titanic is 40mm.

Both drivers will serve you well.

could always put the peerless in a horn... :D or make my horn.. :D:D its only like 1000 litres :p but it does give 130dB down to 30Hz... lol before room gain :p:p

attachment.php

if 105db doesnt quench your bass thirst (like me)
you must either
- buy more units and more amps
-build a basshorn and get 125db in house.

2.83v into 4ohm = 2watts
2.83v into 8ohm = 1watts
proof
P= V^2/R

so 4ohm woofers show the 2.83v sensitivity making it look 3db better than it is :p

dont go crazy about efficiencys,manufacturers measure them different ways,so only compare between various models not companys, you can easily cheat by putting a boundary nearby and get more Db....

If i were you and wanted SPL id go for a basshorn assuming you can fit one.

in conclusion: you would need to buy another amp,and perhaps drive 2 15"s with 400w each to get the SPL you need CLEANLY in my opinion
and even if the dollar is good,youl pay shitloads for shipping still,like 100$ for 1 woofer.
You can get lab12s from eminence distributors for 440$ LOL when their 150$ US at PE..

Cheers!

A word to the wise. None of these drivers are anywhere near flat. You'll note that they don't make actual frequency response graphs available--only graphs of simulations, which isn't the same thing at all. The actual response at 20 Hz is 10-15 dB down from the 80-100 Hz region. It's a long, slow slope downhill; falling at approximately 6 dB/oct in a normal T-S enclosure.
Loud? Yes.
Deep? No.
Count on using judicious EQ if you expect to get anything like flat response. You have been warned.

Grey

contradiction

Michael=125db is fun, or atleast 115db :) i onyl have 115db of pure horn ness down to 40hz at the moment,next step is a lab12 on 360L 33hz horn ;-)

A word to the wise. None of these drivers are anywhere near flat.
Wheres your proof? you dont show any.Just your words...

You'll note that they don't make actual frequency response graphs available--only graphs of simulations, which isn't the same thing at all.
Definately..actually in the whitepaper they do show nearfield SPL curve.

The actual response at 20 Hz is 10-15 dB down from the 80-100 Hz region. It's a long, slow slope downhill; falling at approximately 6 dB/oct in a normal T-S enclosure.

Did you measure it ? with what equipment?

So how can the box that is using T/s specifications acutaly have a 6db/octave roll off when the t/s specified boxes show a flat response?

GRollins, you are right, they are not flat, but then again NO speaker is flat, especially in any room other than an anechoic chamber. I think that steeply falling response you ar ethinking of is before room gain in a sealed chamber. In a ported environment its quite possible to get response flat to 20Hz without spending too much, Adire DPL anyone?

Rabbitz, I checked theloudspeakerkit and they are a rip off for those subs....a 12" DVC with 250w for $1,000..
Plus i like the idea of building my own box (NOT SEALED) and i already have an amp. Any idea who is their distributor, for dayton that is.

Hey this brings me to an idea,, anyone want to begin thinking about a group order from PE for us aussies that have great exchange rates.

its easy to get shipping prices, you simply register with them for free then go to the checkout and it will tell you. I looked at getting the Dayton Titanic mk3 and it was going to be $111.29
And the driver is $160, so 271.29, then implement our current exchenge rate 80c for every $1.... $271 x 1.25 = 338

the 15" version of this driver comes out better value with shipping, but i think the tempest may still be better value here. This is why i would like to see how many people would like to do a group order, i personally would like some speaker vinyl and if i can afford a sun driver, also some spikes and maybe terminals etc. If anyone else would like to get in on it let me know and we will work it out for later down the track.

Dunno when I'll be ordering again. I don't know if you get a saving on postage for larger orders as it's worked out on actual weight or cubic weight. What I had to do was juggle the order around to get the best shipping price, keep adding stuff until the shipping price changed.

BTW, I just ordered some SEAS 27TFFC's from Acoustic Concepts to go with the Peerless 850122. Since people rave about them, I've got to try them and supposed to be much better with the series xo with the Peerless CSX. I'll see next week...... have to open out the rebate from 100mm to 105mm, but that's no problem.

I'll let you know how I get on.

The differences between the drivers you mention are kind of minor. You'll either have to make the box bigger, or use a different driver.

The Stryke AV12 has significantly better specs, even better the Stryke AV15.

But unless you go to a way better driver, you're much better off here in Oz changing the box.

BTW, I am doing a trip to the US in a month and could possibly bring something back.

Cheers

Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.