Adjust Cubic Air Volume?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all! This is my first post to this forum and I should also say I'm not an audiophile by any definition so don't get too technical on me. I bought a new truck with a regular cab and the sound system is terrible so I have decided to add two subwoofers to a professional prefabricated box to place behind the seats. The box fits nicely and looks great and I really want to use it. However, the subwoofers that I want to use have a recommended .35 to .7 cubic air volume inside each chamber. According to the manufacturer, the box chambers are .77 cubic feet of air. What can I do, or should do if anything, to get the cubic air space down to somewhere between .35 and .7 (.55?)? When I get all my equipment in, I plan to take it to a professional car stereo installer and have them hook up everything. I've never used a professional car audio installer before so can they adjust (tune) the cubic air volume of my box for me? Maybe I'm worry about something that is not a real issue but I don't know how significant .7 over the recommended cubic air volume is and how, if any, it affects speaker performance. I hate to go to all this expense and effort and have some simple matter that might significantly affect the performance of my equipment. I would appreciate any advice on this matter. Thanks in advance!

GM

Joined 2003
Without knowing all the particulars, i.e. driver, box, specs and whether or not this 'system' has been optimized for your truck, I recommend leaving it at this ~10% too large since historically, typical mobile audio cab alignments ideally need larger cabs. Worst case, you can glue in wood scraps or similar to reduce its net Vb [internal cab volume], but I would be very surprised if you could hear any obvious difference since our hearing acuity down in the bass is very poor.

GM

Are these sealed or ported boxes? Either way add some poly fill for damping. If they are ported leave the damping away from the port by about 4-5 inches. Don't worry about the extra volume (or get a bigger speaker). Your installer will know what to do, don't worry about it. Your not going to want to stop with the subs. A new head unit and front speakers will help out tremendously. Of course you will need the proper amps too. Enjoy!

Hi Keith,

I totally agree with Ron and GM. By the time you subtract the driver displacement you should be close to .7cuft with it mounted in the box. For car audio, if I have the space to build the box bigger I will always build bigger. I have built boxes on the small side, and didn't care for the sound at all. I have built boxes with a Qtc of .5, which was about 3 times larger than the manufacturer recommended, and it sounded great. Did I mention bigger is better. Anyways, hopefully this was helpful.

Regards,
Matt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.