Five hole bracing for sealed enclosure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would do this! I also think battens are a good idea just not 2". Build it the way you want to and see how it comes out. Then learn from your mistakes and build something better if you are not happy!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The dowel or rod can resist compression.
It does nothing to resist tension. The cabinet expands due to internal air pressure and the rod just sits there floating with air gap/s at it's ends.

The brace has to ATTACH to the panels to carry both tension AND compression.
Now I understand what you mean. :) I made the incorrect assumption that the dowel would be glued into placed.

Let me try to be positive.

Glue works best when it is crammed into crevices between pieces, not like lumps of mortar.

Hardwood dowels (the kind you'll find at the store) a're very strong even in small diameters and both for compression and tension, provided they aren't too long or can bend.

Think about the location of cross-box bracing in terms of unsupported open areas. How far is any spot on the wall from any supporting element (like another wall or brace)? More than say 10 inches (which means like outside a circle 20 inches in diameter with no support) suggests adding a support element. (In post 61, you can see braces attached right near corners where they aren't adding much.)

Ben
(with apologies to the well intentioned builder of post 61, otherwise very nice)

Ñihehe :) Wow this has got few more messages. I have to say that until my boxes are still not done (almost ready, I have been working in the bracing design) and after several hours of thinking, I concluded and saw how the 5way 2x4 bracing cross as a HUGE potential. Because of its high mass, you can externally link to it some 3/4 panels (circles, squares, etc) and take advantage of it, that piece will help giving even more stiffness at the center of the walls (more covered area), which is the critic part we have to reinforce. I found this interesting, because you can recycle the circles you make when making the mounting holes. Here a pic, my final design its something like this, and few more things because I also took care of the upper side which is where the mounting hole is. I know that that cross is not attacking the center of the circle, I cannot go more up, because of the desired mounting depth, anyway because the circle is touching something very rigid, it's still so good the stiffness it's getting from the cross arm. Surfing the web, found an user who did the same cross, although he did not do about the external panels (which of course can go internal, for aesthetics and internal space, I am bracing the panels fro outside, and doing an exciting artwork.)

Damn, I have to do a CTR Z to my boxes in real life, remember that external bracing belt that I showed before? compared to the final design, its like how bad I was. I glued it to my two boxes, now I will have to use my circular saw and chisel to get rid of it and make place to option 2, easy to solve and a fixable mistake.

Attachments

• 546ghgh.png
    546ghgh.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

That's extreme :shy:, I just made my 5way 2x4 crosses, in addition with the panels I commented before, surelly will get just the enough sound quality I want.

By the way! yesterday was reading about the miracles of filling the enclosures with poly-fill, do you recommend me filling my enclosures? it may be second factor that will increase the sound quality/performance. Some people use in little boxes, so the box acts like a big enclosure after filling it. Considering that my boxes are big enough for 15" driver (sealed 2.2 3F), is it worth it doing this? Will I increase the performance?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.