Is it true that the higher the BL of a subwoofer, the higher its lowest playable...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong (they'd better) but I don't see the relationship between the motor strength and the LF response as an independent parameter. LF has to do with air displacement which is a combination of surface area and excursion distance. I understand motor strength plays a part in this too. Oh, and let's not forget mass.

Actually, thin wire and/or a longer voice coil usually increases power handling (until you get so thin it can't handle the current).

For a given driver, if you raise the BL, you lose low end for a given box. Hoffman's Iron Law. Raising BL raises efficiency, meaning for a given box, you must lose low end extension.

EQ can make up for it, and ultimately - as RobM an Tim8ter point out - maximum SPL capability is displacement. But for small signal, non-boosted low end, you can have too much BL.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

Hi all:

New guy here. :wave:

It seems to me that Re is just an undesireable side effect of the voice coil conductor. Ideally, wouldn't a very low Re be desireable from an efficiency and power handling standpoint? All the motor cares about is Bli, and V is just a requirement to obtain i.

Also, does a high Bl lose low-end for a given box, or does it actually gain high-end since low-end is probably Xmax limited and high-end is efficiency (and inductance) limited?

I ask because I really don't know. :headbash:

-Casey Walsh

SmarmyDog:
It is true that most of the electric power delivered to the driver is turned into heat in the voice coil, so lowering its resistance without changing anything else would increase the efficiency. However, the Qes and thereby the Qts value is determined by Qes=ws*Mms/Res, where Res=(Bl)^2/Re, so a low Re will decrease Qts. So lowering Re a lot would ultimately lead to a frequency response tilting by +6dB/octave instead of the flat response we want.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
454Casull:

Here is a Peerless 850146 with no modifications. It is in a 56 liter box, sealed. The BL, (or Tm) is 10.0. Note the curve.

This simulation program is Subwoofer Simulator by our own F4ier. Unfortunately,this version of the program does not allow several size boxes of the same type to be modelled all at once, (or at least I don't know how to do it). But boy, this gives you all the curves, (impedance, impedance phase, cone excursion, port output, etc) that you can want, if you choose to select them.
http://www.geocities.com/f4ier/speaker.htm

The high frequency rolloff on this simulation assumes that inductance alone accounts for mid frquency behavior. As such, it is somewhat inaccurate. But you can ignore the mid frequency rolloff for our purposes.

Attachments

• prls 850146 56 lt 10 tm b.gif
    prls 850146 56 lt 10 tm b.gif
    17.4 KB · Views: 350
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Now here is the same speaker in the same 56 liter sealed box. Only this time, the BL, (Tm) rating is twice as high. From 10 to 20.

Note the midband sensitivity is increased, but the rolloff is quicker.

That is another way of saying that Qes, (and thereby Qts) is lowered dramatically.

Attachments

• prls 850146 56 ltr box tm 20.gif
    prls 850146 56 ltr box tm 20.gif
    18.2 KB · Views: 353
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.