Mission Freeway drivers - any good for mini-cube subs? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2016, 04:10 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Mission Freeway drivers - any good for mini-cube subs?

I have an old Mission Freeway subwoofer from their long extinct ICE system - this is no longer used but I was wondering if the drive units would be good for making two mini-cube sealed subs for my hi-fi. I've done internet searches on these but drawn a blank on finding any technical specs, so beyond knowing they're 5" drivers I've got nothing to go on - anyone out there know more about them? The photos below show the product numbers and show the sub itself, the drivers were mounted with the rear of both units facing into a small sealed chamber and the fronts into a larger vented one (one drive unit removed in photos).

I also have the freeway plate amp which I can easily build an external 12V supply for and use this to drive the subs if this seems like a viable project to wiser minds than mine... Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mission Freeway Sub1.jpg (53.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Mission Freeway Sub2.jpg (40.1 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Mission Freeway Sub3.jpg (98.9 KB, 57 views)
Old 2nd February 2016, 10:33 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Sounds like they were running a 4th order bandpass.
Without any T/S parameters, probably the most reliable thing you could do with them is put them in a very small sealed box and apply a 12dB/octave boost in the low end. With a pair of 5"s, you'll never shake the room, but you'll end up with a nice compact setup for desktop use.

If you can measure the T/S parameters, or have a measurement setup available, there are more options.

Chris
Old 2nd February 2016, 12:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Paramètres haut-parleur de THIELE et SMALL, sans filtre ni ampli
Old 2nd February 2016, 10:23 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Wow, thanks for those data, Papasteack. I've had a quick look at them and also downloaded Boxsim and had a play with the figures, but I've never built any kind of speaker before so I may well be returning with more questions when I've had a chance to think about this in more detail.

Hide this!Advertise here!