Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multiple subs vs. bass traps
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th December 2015, 04:07 AM   #21
youknowyou is offline youknowyou  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindsource View Post
A short presentation on the topic by Dr. Geddes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCWL-zusyqw

He addresses 'bass traps' in there.
LF must be absorbed and multiple subwoofer do nothing to help to have a good and even decay times accross the FR.

Last edited by youknowyou; 28th December 2015 at 04:15 AM.
Old 28th December 2015, 09:53 PM   #22
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowyou View Post
bass traps absorbs.
even if multiple subwoofer smooth the FR, it doesnt do anything to absorbs the LF resonance in the room.
All a sub needs to absorb bass is an opposing phase relationship to the others. The multiple sub technique both trims and adds, with the goal being the middle ground.
Old 29th December 2015, 03:19 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
All a sub needs to absorb bass is an opposing phase relationship to the others. The multiple sub technique both trims and adds, with the goal being the middle ground.
decay times needs to be even across all the FR and a subwoofer do not address this at all.
I dont know how to make this more clear and you seem to simply ignore that point.
Old 29th December 2015, 03:46 AM   #24
Mindsource is offline Mindsource  Canada
diyAudio Member

Decay times are directly related to modal 'strengths'. Controlling modes in a finished small room is quite a task. I've heard diaphragmatic absorbers can be affective although they seem large and static to me. Any type of fluffy insulation or foam is useless. I believe multiple subs and EQ are the way.

That's the last I'll say about it unless you can give me some proof otherwise.

Last edited by Mindsource; 29th December 2015 at 03:58 AM.
Old 29th December 2015, 03:30 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindsource View Post
Decay times are directly related to modal 'strengths'. Controlling modes in a finished small room is quite a task. I've heard diaphragmatic absorbers can be affective although they seem large and static to me. Any type of fluffy insulation or foam is useless. I believe multiple subs and EQ are the way.

That's the last I'll say about it unless you can give me some proof otherwise.
EQ cannot help for time related issue and resonance in a room. Decay times is a time domain issue, EQ cannot help with time domain issue.

Nobody just use ''any type of fluffy insulation'', you need to use the right foam with the right coefficient absorption for the thickness used.

I need to prove you what exactly? Every studio in the world use velocity and pressure based bass traps and use absorption and/or diffusion to control and reduce room modes, decay times, flutter echo,standing waves etc...

Last edited by youknowyou; 29th December 2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old 29th December 2015, 08:14 PM   #26
seanny is offline seanny  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
LF must be absorbed and multiple subwoofer do nothing to help to have a good and even decay times accross the FR.
The ultimate damping (absorbtion) is the anti-phase. Multiple subs has plenty.
Old 29th December 2015, 08:23 PM   #27
seanny is offline seanny  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djn View Post
Thanks You. Looks like we may be moving so and I want to get a house with a dedicated room so I am in the planning stage.
Just pick the a house with a big room for your toys. Then strip the drywalls and add damping. Most sound proofing technique give you damping. You end up with damping like a studio.
Then you can pick multi subs and or bass traps.

The first step is damping. The next step is flattening FR. Multiple subs with EQ cut peaks and fill valleys. Bass traps only cut peaks.
Old 29th December 2015, 08:54 PM   #28
nycavsr2000 is offline nycavsr2000  United States
diyAudio Member

It's all important fellas. But first start with the design of the room in other words the drywall and damping behind the drywall. Next implement multisubs. Next implement bass traps both velocity and pressure based bass traps (that are limited ONLY to the LF). Finally for minor tweaks (like a small peak or 2), use EQ. I did it in that order, but honestly the bang for the buck for me was implementing multiple subs (minimum of 3, diminishing returns after 4).

This series of articles explains it very easily and well:

Bass Integration guide by Paul Spencer Parts 1, 2, and 3

Best,
Anand.
Old 29th December 2015, 08:55 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanny View Post
The ultimate damping (absorbtion) is the anti-phase. Multiple subs has plenty.

to reduce room decay, subs are useless.

i wont comment either as anyone taking room acoustic seriously knows that. this is acoustic 101

Last edited by youknowyou; 29th December 2015 at 09:23 PM.
Old 29th December 2015, 10:23 PM   #30
Don Hills is offline Don Hills  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
to reduce room decay, subs are useless.

i wont comment either as anyone taking room acoustic seriously knows that. this is acoustic 101
Active damping beats passive damping every time. Even better, do not excite the modes in the first place.

Multiple subs vs. bass trapsHide this!Advertise here!