Subwoofer DIY recommendations please - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2015, 12:57 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Subwoofer DIY recommendations please

Hi,
I am looking for some recommendations & advice with regard to building my own Subwoofer for the Control Room of my recording studio. My room is 1500 cubic feet and my main speakers are a pair of Event 2030, 3 way active monitors. I use a passive monitoring system to switch between the Event speakers, a pair of Yamaha NS10's and a mono Auratone C5 midrange speaker.

I have a few questions on how to choose the right Subwoofer and how best to incorporate a sub into my system, so here goes

I would love to get some recommendations on designs which I could build? I am an accomplished carpenter, pretty good with a soldering iron but electronic theory is not my strong point.

I would also like to know what size driver would best suit my room, what is best, a single sub or two separate subs?

I have various amps @ my disposal to drive this sub, the most powerful is an Alesis RA 500, I have the RA 300 also, a quad 405/2

What is the best way to incorporate the sub into my setup, Should I be looking @ using some sort of digital crossover box, this whole area is new to me so any help here is most welcome

Any other thoughts or advise would be great
thanks for taking the time to read my post
all the best
hally
Old 7th December 2015, 02:03 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I would build a reflex around the driver from ScanSpeak - Revelator 26W/8861T 10" Woofer if you don't mind having a paper cone (26W/8867T00 alu cone) and big enclosure (no Linkwitz Transform). Make two sub speakers for each side of the room (or other configuration you prefer), they will need ~60W each-8 ohms (26W/8867T00 100W). Size will be around 100L/105 net + consider space for ports and drivers. One port longer/H or W side for low tuning around 19Hz will require ~50cm lengths for ~10cm diam., so that one side (Length/Width) will be larger. Example for external dimensions H 65cm, W 60cm, D 40cm with thickness >2cm.
Scanspeak 26W/8861T00 Woofer - Revelator Range
Other drivers can be considered (this one giving a good lower extension and step response).
image link: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-...endations.html
Event Electronics | Reference Studio Monitoring | 2030
Event 2030
Attached Images
File Type: gif imgext.gif (16.1 KB, 90 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!