Subwoofer crackle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, I have an old Infinity SSW 212 subwoofer that I bought as-is on craigslist about 5 years ago. I repaired it by replacing the integrated amplifier, a thermister, and the fuse. It's been rocking great ever since, but recently there's been a crackle at any volume. I've always kept the subwoofer at reasonable levels, so I don't think it's blown. I have a suspicion that some electrical component is going bad but am not sure where to start looking.

I made a recording of the crackle effect: https://soundcloud.com/rambo-29404760/subwoofer-crackle/s-srPT5
The recording is of the >20Hz subwoofer kick test from audiocheck.net. Quality isn't great since I recorded it with my phone them amplified it with audacity.

Any ideas? Part of me wants to fix it to keep it alive (it's my baby after all), but another part of me just wants to give it away to potential DIYer and just buy the SVS SB12-NSD that is on sale right now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.