JBL CS1214, what to do with it

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found a forgotten sub in my basement. I grabbed it as a deal in some car audio shop, and has been collecting dust for years. Since I have a bunch of bookshelf speakers, it would make for a nice low extension. I also found a class D tripath amp that could power it up. Any idea of the sealed box dimensions I should use? Can it be set up to fire down, and try to pass it as a coffee table with the wife;)

CS1214 - JBL

GM

Joined 2003
Yes, based on its published specs it's well within the 5% rule, so plenty of Fs shift 'wiggle room'. FWIW, mobile audio drivers in general have very stiff suspensions, so that they will work well in small boxes [net Vb], so have no sag problem WRT orientation: http://www.hobbielektronika.hu/forum/getfile.php?id=260785

For ~'best' transient response, 0.577 Qtc: ~269 L/~40 Hz F3, ~32 Hz Fb

For ~flattest response, 0.707 Qtc: ~78 L/~40 Hz F3, ~40 Hz Fb

For a bit more 'bottom' bass, 0.9 Qtc: ~33 L/~43 Hz F3, ~52 Hz Fb

Of course any size in-between will be fine and you can to some extent adjust Qt by how much internal damping is used.

GM

I'm kinda tight with room space, so I'd like to go with minimum usable volume. What will I lose if I choose 33l as opposed to 56?

about half an octave of low end. :D
GM posted some box sizes above with Fb and F3s, which gives a rough idea of performance. 28L for the driver in a moderate sized room will likely leave you underwhelmed. sreten's suggestion of 56l is a nice happy medium and can be made into a convenient end table type configuration, if masking its appearance is important.

i have the older version of that sub which i played around with quite a bit. (its currently in a folded horn out in the garage) but one of my favorites was a TL coffee table, if i recall correctly it was closer to the 78l size, if not slightly larger.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.