Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

nice 500w 8ohm 15" Woofer
nice 500w 8ohm 15" Woofer
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th November 2015, 09:08 PM   #11
MikeCTM2 is offline MikeCTM2  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to MikeCTM2
Hi GM
That second HyperLink you did there, is the Exact PDF document that BrianGT, a moderator here, emailed to me this morning.

That's what i was lookin' for!

I recognize the designs immediately. I also did the EBS Design ( There are three basic vented designs for the Tempest - SBB4 EBS and Adire Alignment )

The EBS design is a net 340L cabinet, tuned to 15.8 Hz. It is stuffed with 64 ounces of polyfill. Its external dimensions are 48" x 24" x 24" .....that includes 4" for the legs (it's 48" tall ) ....so without legs, the 48" is really 44"

.....it's a downward firing design. Though i just had mine on its side. No legs.

It is vented with a pair of FP4 four inch flared vent kits with full length cneter tubes. ....Mr Marv actually designed a Slot Port for mine. AND IT SOUNDED BAD ***!

I got a hold of mr marv..... i found him at DIYMA.com - Car Audio Forum & 12 volt Community Board

He emailed me back and said he can build the same box again !

This is one of the happiest days of this Year !!!

His phone is 831 383 0308
His email is mrmarvsplace@yahoo.com
I asked if i could mention him here, and he said sure, and that i could put his number too.

........on a second note, i put the Dodd preamp into the system last night. Much nicer. The Sony stereo receiver is now at the end of the audio signal line, like it should be. The SA1000 and 15" sub now get a top quality signal from the Scott Nixon TubeDac and Dodd preamp with no cheap/crappy sony equipment in the middle.
Old 19th November 2015, 08:21 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

What is the total net internal volume in terms of cubic feet.... of the 340L Adire Audio EBS Design vented enclosure (for Tempest ) ?

Brian Steele, it looks like Parts Express is almost out of them too.

Is Parts Express part no 268-352 the identical thing as the FP4 4 inch vent port kits (mentioned in the 2001 Adire Audio Tempest vented box Applications Paper ) ?

The tube length of partsexpress part no 268-352 is 12"
And the overall length is 17"

The EBS design called for ' full length ' center tubes..... ( of the FP4 vent port kit )
What was the overall length of the FP4 vent port kit with full length tubes ?
Old 19th November 2015, 10:27 PM   #13
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

What I posted.

GM
Old 20th November 2015, 12:38 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi GM
Very glad to hear the DVC385 sims the same as the Tempest.

I found a guy in my neighborhood, who works with wood, who said he can help construct the Adire Audio Tempest EBS vented enclosure.
He had a baltic burch shelf thing that he had just made right in his garage.

I have the DVC385 coming. the parts express website said there were only 3 left, before i ordered mine.

Ok, so 12 cubic feet is 340L ....or in other words, 44" x 24" x 24" .... 3/4" baltic burch wood

I'm glad you simmed the DVC385 and the RSS390HO-4 and the Adire audio Tempest.

How does the Dayton Audio RSS390HF-4 15" subwoofer sim compared to the DVC385 and Tempest ?
....Because obviously, the RSS390HF-4 is the appropriate sub to compare
.. .And not the RSS390HO-4 ( which is optimized for only a 3 cu ft vented enclosure ) ( unlike the RSS390HF-4 which is optimized for a 9 cu ft vented enclosure )

The plastic ports/vents mentioned in the 2001 Adire Audio Tempest Vented Box Applications Paper mention the FP4 four inch flared vent kits.
I've tried my damnest, and cannot locate these.

Is Parts Express part no 268 352 the same thing ?

The Adire Paper says to use the FP4 kit with ' full length center tubes '
.....What was the overall length of the FP4 kit ? ( i really seriously hope someone does have the answer to this question )

The overall length of the Parts Express Ports is 17"

I wish i the software. ....Basically a 12 cu ft vented enclosure tuned to 15.8 Hz
...with two 4 inch vent ports ....what is the required overall length needed ?

Last edited by MikeCTM2; 20th November 2015 at 01:05 AM.
Old 20th November 2015, 07:05 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCTM2 View Post
That second HyperLink you did there, is the Exact PDF document that BrianGT, a moderator here, emailed to me this morning.
Interesting! I didn't know he was a moderator and haven't noticed him posting since his college days at least a decade ago with his Thor project.

GM
Old 20th November 2015, 08:12 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCTM2 View Post
Ok, so 12 cubic feet is 340L ....or in other words, 44" x 24" x 24" .... 3/4" baltic burch wood

I'm glad you simmed the DVC385 and the RSS390HO-4 and the Adire audio Tempest.

How does the Dayton Audio RSS390HF-4 15" subwoofer sim compared to the DVC385 and Tempest ?

.....What was the overall length of the FP4 kit ?

I wish i the software. ....Basically a 12 cu ft vented enclosure tuned to 15.8 Hz
...with two 4 inch vent ports ....what is the required overall length needed ?
Morning,

Well, it's 12 ft^3 net, i.e. after subtracting out the driver, vents, bracing, which takes up ~0.4512 ft^3, ergo ~352.579 L gross based on internal dims of 22.5" x 22.5" x 42.5".

You're welcome!

Identical except for its lower inductance, which makes for a flatter frequency and phase response. Not many 'free lunches' in audio system design.

No clue, I've never used a vent kit as there was no such option available except for the few kits that included a pre-cut cardboard mailing tube.

Dual 4" i.d. tubes need to be around 17.5" long, but to get a low vent mach requires [4] 4" and the flares of the plastic tube vents I've seen aren't large enough to make up this difference [acoustic diameter = ~4.9" IIRC], so Dan apparently did a bit of fudging by ear and/or an impulse response with stuffing density to under-size them this much.

The way I typically design cabs is to use some form of vented TL alignment [aka MLTL, ML-TQWT, ML-horn in today's parlance depending on its flare factor] that damps the vent enough to reduce its length and negate the need to 'critically' damp the vent in many cases.

IOW, if the cab was divided in half to create an inverse tapered 1/4 WL resonator [ML-TQWT] with the driver at the extreme 'closed' end [bottom] and the vents at the extreme open end [bottom], then the vents could theoretically be a bit larger and maybe even shorter, to offset the lack of flares [5" dia.].

Since a divider brace is already accounted for, the cab's outside dims would theoretically remain the same.

GM
Old 20th November 2015, 06:00 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Identical except for its lower inductance, which makes for a flatter frequency and phase response. Not many 'free lunches' in audio system design.
Hmm, this should read:

Identical except for its lower inductance, which makes for a flatter frequency and phase response with the trade-off being ~3-5 dB less peak SPL in its pass-band, so for purely 'sub' woofer duty [<~120 Hz] the Tempest would be my choice of the two. Not many 'free lunches' in audio system design.

GM

nice 500w 8ohm 15&quot; WooferHide this!Advertise here!