Subwoofer problem (Farting sound, loose screws and frontal air) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Old 10th November 2015, 10:39 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
Default Subwoofer problem (Farting sound, loose screws and frontal air)

I got a relatively good sub from my friend. Problem is... it's in shitty condition. It's Magnat Killer Bull 300x (250w 12inch 4ohm). It got several problems...
1. Dust cap has fallen of and it has been "reglued" with wide insolation ducttape - there is no dust inside but I don't know how to remove the ducttape without destroying the speaker so I can reglue it properly as I doubt that ducttape fix will last
2. One or two screws are loose so you can hear them unless i put some pressure on them with my fingers
3. I can feel the air from the front of the speakers.

It sound really good until about 60% loudness. Is there any hope for such speaker?
Old 11th November 2015, 12:02 AM   #2
diyAudio Member
Well, the duct tape is an issue, it increases the weight of the cone and changes the tuning a little.
Loose screws and air leakage is pretty easily fixed. If the screws are simply wood screws and are stripped out, you can treat them as any wood screw, and use toothpicks or match sticks with glue to repair the holes.

If the screws are "machine screws", and should be screwed into something like a "t-nut", but those have dropped off, you will want to pull all the screws and ease the driver out and investigate what the problem is. That all should be easy to fix.

I'd be tempted to simply leave the duct tape there, and as it starts loosing the adhesive, cut the loose parts away...
Old 11th November 2015, 12:19 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
better to fix the dustcap problem using superglue ... it will hold up stronger compared to duct tape ... and regarding the air from the front of the speakers, it might be air leaking around the woofer area ... sealing the area with double sided foam tape will do the trick ... which is what i always do ...
Old 11th November 2015, 01:22 PM   #4
SS4927 is offline SS4927  Canada
diyAudio Member
If screws strip out Ill usually remove them all and rotate the driver an inch or two. Then make fresh holes. Dont forget to drill pilot holes otherwise you will have other problems with cracking. Order this for the dust cap Speaker Repair Adhesive, Dust Caps, Lead-Wires, MI-2000

Hide this!Advertise here!