Subwoofer problem (Farting sound, loose screws and frontal air)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2015
I got a relatively good sub from my friend. Problem is... it's in shitty condition. It's Magnat Killer Bull 300x (250w 12inch 4ohm). It got several problems...
1. Dust cap has fallen of and it has been "reglued" with wide insolation ducttape - there is no dust inside but I don't know how to remove the ducttape without destroying the speaker so I can reglue it properly as I doubt that ducttape fix will last
2. One or two screws are loose so you can hear them unless i put some pressure on them with my fingers
3. I can feel the air from the front of the speakers.

It sound really good until about 60% loudness. Is there any hope for such speaker?

Well, the duct tape is an issue, it increases the weight of the cone and changes the tuning a little.
Loose screws and air leakage is pretty easily fixed. If the screws are simply wood screws and are stripped out, you can treat them as any wood screw, and use toothpicks or match sticks with glue to repair the holes.

If the screws are "machine screws", and should be screwed into something like a "t-nut", but those have dropped off, you will want to pull all the screws and ease the driver out and investigate what the problem is. That all should be easy to fix.

I'd be tempted to simply leave the duct tape there, and as it starts loosing the adhesive, cut the loose parts away...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.