10" inch scoop!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

I recently build a pair of a 10 inch scoop based on the 12inch scoop speaker plans .

Any recomended drivers for this?

Attachments

• 20150727_210157.jpg
    20150727_210157.jpg
    758.2 KB · Views: 913
Hi,

Forget subwoofers, they simply wont work.
10" PA types high passed are your best bet.

rgds, sreten.

Why you say subwoofers wont work?

This ia for home hifi. At the moment I have two 3way monitors and for listening to reggae and dub it asks for more bass.
I shall use an active crossover with it.

High pass are my best option? Can u explaim a litle bit? I am a begginer on this

It doesn’t matter if they are for home hi-fi or PA…..You have already been told on both the threads you started on the speakerplans forum (a forum that has a scoop section!!) that 10” scoops will not give you sub because the horn is to short, as its the horn length dictates the low frequency response…….

….. I guess you simply didn’t like what the guys on their told you so you have moved here!!

I think what everyone is saying these cabinets aren't considered subwoofers because no matter what driver you pu in them they are not going to produce much of any output in sub bass frequencies. Can I ask why you built the cabinet first and then went looking for a driver instead of first choosing a driver and getting a cabinet designed for it?

Last edited:
I got the idea from reggae sound system that use scoops as subs.- so yeah lets start build, only after i start to think..
Very helpfull the other forum. I put the question on booth forum at same time so i can get more answers.
I know this small box wont go as deep as a 18inch scoop. I cant measure exactly the horn size, (any help?) But i think is something like 1.5meters so cut of about 55hz.

Ok mate.
Give external dimensions and thickness for the net volume available, unless you know the internal dimensions (or net vol.). We will give you the adequate driver for those speakers in reflex or sealed systems without trashing them if you are interested.

External dimentions are 856 x 368 x 485 on 19mm mdf
How do i calculate net volume on a horn speaker?

Thanks for the atention

So, I have a pair of these up and running, but the 15" size not 12".

Built from the same ancient eminence cookbook. iirc I used Kappa pro 15" drivers.

I run them with Danley SH95s on top, using a mini DSP as an active crossover feeding Audiolab power amps.

And yes, the whole lot is in my living room. Very tolerant spouse.

It all sounds pretty awesome, actually. I cross over at about 150Hz, small time delay to compensate for the relative driver positions.

It may not be a sub but it goes down a long way - must get around to measuring it.

And for reggae the whole rig really comes in to its own, so you are on to the right track there. Think Notting Hill carnival circa 1970 and you are on the right track. Also great for soul, disco, vocal, and pretty much anything you want to throw at it.

Ultimately, imho, all this is about putting together something you like the sound of. Scoops have plenty of issues - for one thing you need to be a bit away from them, they are very directional and for the best bass you need to sit on the floor rather than stand!

But they go loud enough to make everything fall of the shelves in my daughter's bedroom, which is not directly above, so maybe not subs but not bad at all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.