Bucket subs I think my wife can live with

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My goal with these bucket subs was to build a pair that didn't look so much like 5 gallon buckets.

I special ordered these buckets from Home Depot in piano black.:D

The chrome trim around the edges is automotive plastic door molding.

The plate amp is a Yung SD300 in a Bottlehead clone frame.

P5080061.jpg

Disabled Account
Joined 2014
wowwww they look great aesthetically and i am sure they pass the all important wifey test but what the hell do they sound like, surely 5 gallon buckets have thin walls dont they like rattle and bounce around the floor or did you fill the buckets with concrete before fitting the drivers ? sorry i am not more familiar with the term bucket subs :)

The buckets are very rigid and well anchored with concrete. You'd have to hear the buckets to believe how they sound.

Ed Schilling inventor of the Hornshoppe Horns was gracious enough to share his bucket build instructions on the Transcendent Sound website. I'd post a link but Bruce's site is not working today.

The bucket is reversed with the top and lid becoming the bottom while the bottom becomes the top and mounts the woofer.

I made one modification to the original plans. I fashioned plywood mounting rings that where glued underneath the woofer holes before the concrete was added. After the concrete cured the Peerless woofers were screwed to the mounting rings.

The bolts in the lid hold 4 rubber feet and act like rebar in the concrete.

P4170016.jpg

Last edited:
Glue used with the HDPE buckets?

I made one modification to the original plans. I fashioned plywood mounting rings that where glued underneath the woofer holes before the concrete was added. After the concrete cured the Peerless woofers were screwed to the mounting rings.

P4170016.jpg

Pretty snazzy job, Poultrygeist. I heard about your chrome rimmed buckets on Ed's forum and I'm glad I got to see them here. I'm building four of these in a couple of weeks and I have also thought about adding a Corian or wood ring to better support the woofer mountings in the thin plastic bottoms. Come to think of it, wood should be fine as Corian isn't the best for screws, IIRC---and I have a Jasper Jig with my router...

However---I'm wondering what kind of glue you used---HDPE is notoriously non-stick!

I suppose Gorilla Glue or epoxy will work well enough to hold the wood rings in place until you can apply the wood screws, right? Perhaps you used something else?

Please enlighten us further at your convenience. I've ordered my four "piano black" 90 mil (heavy-duty like the Kilz paint containers) buckets and lids through Amazon ($70 shipped from Idaho, ouch!) and they won't be here for another week.

I considered going with some bright yellow buckets (Yellow SUBmarines) but after lengthy consideration I decided on the piano black as you chose. Elegant and contemporary.

Ed is always saying to build them exactly to his recipe but I do think the "reinforcing rings" are a good idea.

Have you tried reversing their phase at all? Ed also suggests putting in a phase reversal switch in each one but I don't know if I'll really need to do that. Comments welcome.

I'll probably start a thread here once underway and post lots of photos, too.

I love innovative and clever stuff like Ed's bucket subs and am happy to spread the word.

Cheers from the Redneck Riviera (Texas Coastal Bend),

Jeff

PS: My first post in about ten years here!:eek:

Here's the way the buckets look with the 10" waffle grills. Amazingly they snap right in place and fit nice and tight.

I glued the plywood woofer mounting rings to the bottom of the baffles with a variant of Gorilla Glue and then drilled the holes. Since the plastic baffle is sandwiched between the ring and woofer frame the glue becomes optional.

I considered using the heavier duty buckets but I don't think they're necessary as the standard 5 gallon buckets from Home Depot with the concrete makes for a very rigid enclosure.

Since the buckets are tapered it took a couple of tries to cut the rings so they fit.

I use a reverse phase just as Ed suggests. Would love to see your pictures.

P9250036.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.