Bucket subs I think my wife can live with

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Poultrygeist; Yours look even better with the grilles---something I normally dislike. I am surprised Ed doesn't have some on his but then, maybe the dust accumulation repels his iguana.

The next time I put together an order from PE I'll add them, no doubt. We only have one aging cat who sleeps 98% of the time but I might worry about something inadvertently dropped on them.

Yeah, kind of what I figured on the glue---only needed until the screws take over. If they sound the same as Ed's maybe I'll just go with some silicone sealant and the wood or sheet metal screws for the time being. If they ever came loose I could always add the rings later on.

I'm going to town in a couple more days so besides picking up a 50lb sack of Quickrete and a box of decking screws at HD I'll peruse the DPDT switches over at Corpus Christi's one electronics parts store for the phase reversal switches (and resistors for the Magic Cables required)

Don't know if I already mentioned it but I'll be feeding my new Crown XLS2500with a Magic Cable from my Adcom 6006's L-R bass outputs (6 channels total and crossed over around 200hz and 2500hz IIRC via Behringer electronic crossover). The 200 or so down now go to the H-frame woofers of my mains and from this I'll take to the Crown where it will be crossed over again somewhere below 90-100hz.

Although the Adcom also has Line Out RCA jacks for each channel I know Ed says to use his Magic cable(s) direct from the speaker outputs (with 330 or 600ohm resistor on each hot lead) into the Crowns or whatever amp one uses.

Assuming I run my 4 subs from the Crown's bridged mono output I believe that will mean that I need to take the stereo speaker outputs, make a Y cable with two resistors (one at each hot lead) so as to hook up the resulting solo Magic Cable going in to only one of the two RCA jacks on the Crown, right? I suppose connecting the two channels together with the resistors in place won't really hurt things since the output impedance is so low to begin with is the way I see it.

I'm not perfectly clear on this so I just want to make sure beforehand. If anyone can answer this for me, please do.

I plan to start work on these around the 20th of September so I can have the four in place and nice and tidy by the time my wife gets back in town the first week in October---will take many pictures and post ASAP around that time. We have a small and somewhat cluttered condo but I think running four in mono will really tame any room modes fairly well.

Thanks for any replies or suggestions in the meantime. I'm glad I stirred up a bit of interest in Ed's subs along the way, too. The first time I saw them on the Hornshoppe Forum I read the entire 15 pages of the thread in one sitting. Kind of like discovering the Holy Grail, I guess.:D

Last edited:
I don't use a magic cable nor do I use speaker level connections. I use the line in on the plate amp connection from my preamp.

One other minor detail is to stack the binding posts, one over the other. Side by side on the circular bucket surface looks weird.

I guess I can say I'm with you on both points, at least for now. It will be simpler and easier just to run my IC cables into the RCA line in jacks. I'm not really worried too much about being able to get enough output that way anyway; these subs will be in our condo and I don't want to rattle the neighbors too much in the first place.:eek:

I can always try out the Magic Cables later but I suspect I'll be a happy camper using lines in.

Since I like to use banana plugs made in pairs I better heed your advice about the binding post orientation, too---thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.