B&C 18" Driver Advice - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th July 2015, 07:27 PM   #1
bjones is offline bjones  United States
diyAudio Member

Default B&C 18" Driver Advice

Hello all,

I THINK I have narrowed down driver selection to 2 models:

18PS100 & 18TBX100

I am planning to build 2 single 18" BR enclosures to be used outdoors at this year's Burning Man for a camp size of about 750sq.ft.

T/S wise - to my novice eyes, it seems that I can build an enclosure for the PS100 tuned at 29hz while the BX100 enclosures I see are tuned quit a bit higher. We want these subs to go as low as possible without compromising more SPL than necessary. The goal would be 30hz as the ideal LFE.

Power wise we are looking at a Crown CE2000 amp to drive both.

Can anyone shed some light for me on this?
Old 27th July 2015, 09:51 PM   #2
ErnieM is offline ErnieM  United States
diyAudio Member

18TBW100 all day.

Last edited by ErnieM; 27th July 2015 at 09:53 PM.
Old 27th July 2015, 09:53 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones View Post
Hello all,

I THINK I have narrowed down driver selection to 2 models:

18PS100 & 18TBX100

I am planning to build 2 single 18" BR enclosures to be used outdoors at this year's Burning Man for a camp size of about 750sq.ft.

T/S wise - to my novice eyes, it seems that I can build an enclosure for the PS100 tuned at 29hz while the BX100 enclosures I see are tuned quit a bit higher. We want these subs to go as low as possible without compromising more SPL than necessary. The goal would be 30hz as the ideal LFE.

Power wise we are looking at a Crown CE2000 amp to drive both.

Can anyone shed some light for me on this?
Bennett Prescott has:
https://soundforums.net/threads/12058-B-amp-C-18rbx100

The RBX100 should just about be available now, and appears to have more displacement than the 18TBX100 (for less $$), and quite a bit more than the 18PS100.

The 18PS100 will go a bit (4-5 Hz)lower, require a larger box, but won't go as loud as the other two choices. For what you want to do, louder usually wins.

Art
Old 27th July 2015, 10:06 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieM View Post
18TBW100 all day.
Can you expand on this a little for me? The cost is approximately 45% higher, if you could explain your reasoning it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 27th July 2015, 10:17 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
Bennett Prescott has:
https://soundforums.net/threads/12058-B-amp-C-18rbx100

The RBX100 should just about be available now, and appears to have more displacement than the 18TBX100 (for less $$), and quite a bit more than the 18PS100.

The 18PS100 will go a bit (4-5 Hz)lower, require a larger box, but won't go as loud as the other two choices. For what you want to do, louder usually wins.

Art
Thank you Art,

Bennett informed me that the RBX would not be available for this years Burning Man ( Aug.30) So I am left with the other choices. Per B&C site it looks like the req. tuning is exactly 5hz appart 29 vs 34. If you believe from your experience that the SPL increase using the slightly higher tuning of the TBX is a worthy compromise, I think this is the route I will choose.
Old 27th July 2015, 11:34 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Is pack space an issue? A horn (tapped or flh) or bandpass can get you higher SPL levels for the same number of drivers and amps. Just needs lager enclosures.

What kind of music are you playing? 30hz is a really low target for outdoors. Even moving the target to 35 will get you appreciable sensitivity gains, which tends to be the real winner in applications like this.
Also relevant, what tops are you crossing to and at what frequency?

Last edited by zettairyouiki; 27th July 2015 at 11:43 PM.
Old 28th July 2015, 12:13 AM   #7
Tajzmaj is offline Tajzmaj  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

I'm using TBW units in double 18'' br. It is nice sounding and well built. I'm driving those with Carver PT2400. I would say it is definitely worth the price.

Cheers
Old 28th July 2015, 12:36 AM   #8
ErnieM is offline ErnieM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones View Post
Can you expand on this a little for me? The cost is approximately 45% higher, if you could explain your reasoning it would be greatly appreciated.
It's just a more capable driver. I bought four B&C 18PS76's a couple years ago. They work well for most of my needs but after experiencing where the rest of the money has gone that could've got better drivers....well....I would've rather splurged once for the nicer drivers. Especially important if you only plan on using a couple boxes. Also look at the keystone sub.

If you want to save money look at PRV audio for their TBX clone. Shoot for a 35-40hz tuning. Getting low and loud requires a lot more cash and space.
Old 28th July 2015, 02:36 AM   #9
sine143 is offline sine143  United States
diyAudio Member

For bass reflex down to the lower 30s the tbw100 is pretty much the "clear choice". The more substantial xmax gives you the displacement you need to stay within the limits above tuning when tuned low. It takes a Lil hit in sensitivity though.
Old 28th July 2015, 04:15 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thank you all.

I'll buy once and go with the TBW.

FYI the subwoofers that we have: JBL MP418SP

So that's what I need to beat with this build (hopefully noticeably)

And the subwoofers they wanted to get but were cost prohibitive at the time:electrovoice EKX18sp so if I can get to around this level I think they will be pleased.

The mains are:JBL MP415 M-Pro

Hide this!Advertise here!