Multi-sub optimizer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2015, 12:13 AM   #1
Jag768 is offline Jag768  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Multi-sub optimizer

Im trying to find software that can run simuliotions based on measurements of my four subs as I'm having a hard time optimizing all parameters for multiple locations. I stumbled upon multi-sub optimizer on Andy's Site of Audio and Electronic Design Topics which I'm very eager to try. However I cannot find this freeware software. Does it even exist (holy grail )?
Old 18th July 2015, 05:16 AM   #2
Zero D is offline Zero D  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi, it's Always best to include the www of the site you mention !

Anyway, i had looked at it before & also couldn't find the download, so who knows ?

Another similar program that you might find useful is, Room Mode Calculator Home

kolbrek is a member here
Old 18th July 2015, 09:24 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

You're absolutely right, here is the url link.

The software you mention looks neat, only i'm looking for software to optimize the dsp parameters of the individual subs (gain, eq, delay). I was thinking about this for some time, in the sense that i thought it would be perfect to have software optimize these parameters for you based on measurements of the individual subs. Then i stumbled upon this software which does exactly this and even for multiple locations ! But maybe this is too good to be true and im looking for the holy grail

It appears that Andy_C has been banned for some time on diyaudio. Can anybody help to contact him?

Last edited by Jag768; 18th July 2015 at 09:33 AM.
Old 19th July 2015, 09:31 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Its for this project btw, see pics. Plus an 15inch sealed sub from a previous project. So four subs in total.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7313.jpg (668.1 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-04-18(4).jpg (634.5 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150619_174136.jpg (552.0 KB, 254 views)
Old 23rd July 2015, 08:30 PM   #5
koja is offline koja  Canada
diyAudio Member

I know that Earl Geddes has a routine (Matlab-based?). maybe he could sell you a one-time service where you take the measurements as per his instructions and he runs the script for you?

I also would not mind learning a bit more about sub integration and how others are going about it? so i hope others dial in on your thread here.

I actually bought 4 of Earl's sub drivers (B&C 12TBX100) and I believe he said he would help me setup. however, I am not quite there, may not even get there since I am limited as to where i can put the subs around the room. I made two subs as per Beyma design, "Sub12" here:
http://www.beyma.com/uploads/descargas/1399359845.pdf

but they did not integrate well with my mains (Elsinores) until I removed one. the remaining one just blended in perfectly. I wish i could bring the other one in and move it around for an even better fill in effect but currently it's a no go . I am thinking of doing a sealed design now and maybe than revisit the multi-sub concept.
Old 26th July 2015, 05:16 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I have dine some tests with multisubs in a square room.
The results corresponds very well with room eq whizzard multisub optimizer. I was quite suprised how the subs can cancel each other out if not placed propperly and not exactly similar
I was not suprised how the room is forming the frequency responce.
As you know more subs make a larger sweetspot with even responce if placed propperly. Ref Harman multisub white paper.
Old 26th July 2015, 06:26 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

REW - Room EQ Wizard Room Acoustics Software

http://www.harman.com/EN-US/OurCompa...s/multsubs.pdf
Old 14th August 2015, 06:01 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Andy C was so kind as to provide me with his program. He has put quite some effort in it, and that worked out really well.

Before the variation was quite large. I did measurements, dual channel, of 5 listening positions of the 4 subs individually. I imported those in multi sub optimizer. It took me a couple runs to get it right. After entering all values into my Hypex DSPs, i did a measurement to check the accuracy of the simulation. Attached is the simulated response of the least important listening position (i left my mic standing there, so it was the most accurate comparison).

Also attached are the simulated responses of the four main listening positions. Im very pleased with the results, much better than before. The LF sound well controlled and when needed powerful. And much less variation when you walk through the room.
Attached Images
File Type: png All_subs_pos1,2,3.png (23.9 KB, 132 views)
File Type: png Position5_simulated.png (12.2 KB, 130 views)
File Type: png Position5_measured.png (8.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: png All positions_simulated.png (128.7 KB, 46 views)
Old 17th August 2015, 07:10 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

The program can be downloaded here. If the chm file shows up empty, please read this. The help section can also be found here. Andy will continue to work on the program and add new features. Opening a .msop file (multi sub optimizer project file) created with a newer version than your own,might not work properly.
Old 18th August 2015, 09:55 AM   #10
Zero D is offline Zero D  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Re left screenie in Post # 4

I bet you neighbours love you

Re all screenies

Very nice build

10Hz, Yowsa

Thanx for the MSO link, & to Andy C for it & providing it again I had a quick look @ it, & there "appears" to a number of points to be aware of before using it !

Hide this!Advertise here!