Your favorite SUBWOOFER drivers ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have noticed a trend here lately; that is, loss of the definition of a sub-woofer.

To be used UNDER where a (normal?) woofer's range can cover. IE the lowest,
or "bottom" octave. 20hz extension.

Actually a WOOFER is a transducer that you can match directly with a tweeter (i.e. 2-way monitor) and is therefore able to produce low-mid and 4octaves+ with more or less ease.

a SUBWOOFER is a dedicated (specialized) transducer for frequencies below 200hz (80-120hz i would say) that cannot be used directly with only a tweeter. To use a subwoofer in a 2-way config you must use a wideband driver...

--------

Below 20hz is infra

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrasound

Is not audible by human ears (but can be felt at high SPL) and is only interesting for some hardcore HT enthusiasts. You can obtain infra with some massive EQ corrections and/or by the use of efficient subwoofers and enclosure designs (such as bandpass 4th order).

and that reminds me that i have a Resonant Engineering 18's XXX waiting in my garage for such project. :cool:

Last edited:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

That is my RE 18'' XXX

and the small driver sitting aside is not a midrange but a 12'' Dayton subwoofer :D

Electrical Q Value -Qes: 0.68
Mechanical Q Value -Qms: 2.82
Total Speaker Q Value -Qts: 0.55
Free Air Resonance -Fs: 15.60 Hz
Equivalent Compliance -Vas: 482.0 liters
One-Way, Linear Excursion -Xmax: 54 mm
Efficiency -SPL 1W/1m: 86.20 dB SPL
Effective Piston Area -Sd: 1210 cm^2
DC Resistance -Re: 4.2 ohm
Nominal Impedance -Znom: Dual 2 ohm
Thermal Power Handling -Pe: 2000 W
Force Factor -Bl: 18.16

OK, for example my current "subs" are 6-1/2 inch Peerless drivers designed to be used in a bass reflex box, but mounted in a sealed box and Linkwitz transformed for Fc of 40 Hz @ Q=.5, they sound really good for near-field listening and are totally useless for filling a large room with earth shaking bass.
Like I said, not enough info provided to give a good answer.

Mike

That's funny. A 6.5" that rolls off at 40Hz is not a sub. Period.

Mine? The JBL W1500 as used in the Array 1500 sub. Next? The JBL SUB1500.

Absolute favorite woofer, JBL 1501-1AL. Fs 19Hz. Stunning.

Barry.

MTX Jackhammer

This one will give you heart-throb!
WHG

Attachments

• 0006353_jackhammer-22-inch-4000w-rms-dual-2-ohm-superwoofer.jpg
    0006353_jackhammer-22-inch-4000w-rms-dual-2-ohm-superwoofer.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 331
  • MTX-T9922-22.pdf
    415.5 KB · Views: 106
That's funny. A 6.5" that rolls off at 40Hz is not a sub. Period.

Mine? The JBL W1500 as used in the Array 1500 sub. Next? The JBL SUB1500.

Absolute favorite woofer, JBL 1501-1AL. Fs 19Hz. Stunning.

Barry.

That's why I wrote ""subs""
And yeah, I don't consider them to be real subwoofers, but they have audible response below 30 Hz, so they go lower than any other 6" I've heard.
The point I was trying to make to the OP was that asking other's opinions about their favorite subwoofers was pointless without context, kind of like asking "how long is a piece of string?"
A subwoofer that works well for home theater might not work at all with Magnepan panels for example. And I've noticed over the years that people's ideas about what constitutes a good sub is all over the place, some want flat frequency response, some like that hard thumping one-note bass, some like to hear the subs so loud that they shake the neighborhood, some just want to enhance the lower octave to be audible, and on and on.

Mike

They were there!

Cant find any ts parameters of that "thing"

Maybe its a space station?

These are in the PDF file attached to my original post.
WHG

T9922-22
Fs = 24 Hz
Qms = 5.044
Vas = 5.776 cu.ft
Cms = 0.039 mm/N
Mms = 1140.0 g
Rms = 33.92 kg/S
Xmax = 1 in
Xmech = 3 in
P-Dia = 18.49 in
Sd = 267.84 sq.in
P-Vd = 0.155 cu.ft
Qes = 0.441
Re = 0.87 ohms
BL = 18.41 Tm
Qts = 0.406
no = 0.487 %
2.83V SPL = 98.8 dB

My current fav is the Alpine SWS-15D2

There are subs which can move more air, and there are subs that sound better, but at it's price point of about $100, I don't think there's anything that can compete with it for high output and low distortion. Even the Dayton Ultimaxx subs cost significantly more. One thing that helps a lot is that the Alpine is available from hundreds of retailers, so it's quite affordable to ship. Mine came from an online retailer located just 40 miles from my house, so the driver showed up in less than 48 hours.

Cant find any ts parameters of that "thing"

Maybe its a space station?
No, that "thing" is a definite leak in your finances.... :D

I use a XLS12 (Peerless) in my sub... big disadvantage: it was designed to work with a passive unit. So I had to use passive compensation for the time being.

In future I hope to convert the unit into a MFB type sub.

Last edited:
My current fav is the Alpine SWS-15D2

There are subs which can move more air, and there are subs that sound better, but at it's price point of about $100, I don't think there's anything that can compete with it for high output and low distortion. Even the Dayton Ultimaxx subs cost significantly more. One thing that helps a lot is that the Alpine is available from hundreds of retailers, so it's quite affordable to ship. Mine came from an online retailer located just 40 miles from my house, so the driver showed up in less than 48 hours.

Now you got me thinking.
I'm planning to build two sealed subs with Dayton ultimax 15 drivers. They are not in stock yet on parts express and imported to Norway they will be almost twice the price of the Alpine drivers.

Have you tested both Ultimax and the SWS-15D2? Are there a big difference in performance?

The SWS-15D2 would visually go well together with my Klipsch main speakers, if it weren't for that ugly Alpine logo. :rolleyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.