Dirt cheap Heavy Duty 18" PA driver, MCM 55-2994, likely weak motor? Still good value

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have some Eminence drivers from the 90's whose foam surrounds are in good shape. And LAB12's that still look new since 2002. Those never see UV, though, being inside labhorns.

I have been told that the foam formulation Eminence uses for their Lab series will last longer than the old foams :) .... Anybody ever hear of Lab driver foam rotting?

Last edited:
I vote aye in favor Zwiller's proposition to nominate BeauB the machine! !

I would jump on this but high pass is 50hz?

This place should have a Great Deals thread too. I nominate BeauB to start it as he is a machine at finding deals!!!

I agree! BeauB does seem very talented at finding these deals :)

I just bought one of the Crowns , should be here by thursday, not bad for free shipping coming from New York City

APEXJR.COM OF COURSE!

Some other great bargains can be found over at Apex Junior ....

I have purchased some of his Cerwin Vega surplus 6" midbass drivers and they only cost me $6 each ! .... He still has some in stock ..... They sound good , very clear sounding midrange and will produce some midbass in the right cabinet ..... I think these would be great used in multiples to make mini-TL line arrays of 4 or 6 drivers vertically oriented per cab for budget PA usage ... . :nod::note:

I have considered buying up some of his oddball surplus 10" Rockford Fosgate drivers because they have useful "small box" parameters, however they have an extremely low impedance (about 1/2 ohm impedance) because they were meant to be used in a highly specialized application with a proprietary 300w amplifier that was designed to drive a half-ohm load .................... So in order to make these useful you have to buy multiples and connect them in series ... 6 of these Fosgate drivers will cost you $165 and 8 will cost you $220 , BUT CHECK THIS OUT , 8 of them can be put into a box that is no bigger than some of the sub horns discussed in these forums (or 4 each into two small cabinets) and 8 of these drivers will have a combined cone area of MORE THAN TWO 18" SUBWOOFERS!:yikes: Along with plenty of excursion and power handling of at least 1600 watts rms conservative (or 2400 watts if we consider each driver to have 300w rms power handling which i think is probably pushing it a little much for those even though they were meant to be used with a 300w amp) ......

It is an affordable way to reach 130db of sub-bass output (in halfspace) :scratch2:...

NOTE: It is interesting to think that even with 8 of these Rockford Fosgate oddballs in series we would still have a lower Le (inductance at 1khz) figure than a single one of my Dayton Pa-310s ! DUBIOUS YOU SAY?!?! I do find it a little hard to believe:magnify: , so rather than fully trusting the published specs on the Apex website i would want to order a sample and test it on my DATS to be sure of the figures and simulate cabs again if necessary before investing in 8 of the drivers ...

You can find the items i am referring to in this list:
Speaker Stuff

Last edited:
Wonder how well those CV 6" midbass drivers would do in a synergy horn. Have your run the ones you purchased on the DATS? If so how well does it match up to the advertised specs?

I've always kindof wanted to brainstorm ridiculously cheap ways to get PA top performance on a tiny budget by using overstock speakers like that. I think the gold standard for cheap PA is Mackie SRM 450s. They sound great, are plug-and-play active, and they can be found used for less than 300. Means that a DIY passive cabinet would have to be less than 100 in parts to be competitive, but I think it could be done.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.