Driving 300w dvc woofer with 6 watts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Especially at 89db 1w/1m. Spec sheet also shows 100w NOT 600w...

Yeah I see that, but it doesnt matter to me haha.
Since its 100 watts do you think 6 watts to each coil will be fine. I dont need much at all, it is going to be in a mini boom box so it doesnt have to be that great. It will be wired in parallel with my full range drivers that will each be recieving 6 watts of power

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
89dB +/- 3dB means 86dB.
Careful your amp can handle a 2 ohm load or consider using a high pass filter on the FR drivers.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-06-26 at 9.14.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-06-26 at 9.14.35 AM.png
    125.3 KB · Views: 159
Touche' Cal. Can't imagine a 6w PS handling 2ohms.

DVC but 8ohms: Goldwood GW-406D 6-1/2" Poly DVC Subwoofer Shielded

I like this one (efficiency nut) : Pyramid W64 6-1/2" Pro Plus Midbass Woofer
I recall Art Welter describing a pseudo mono summation method by wiring positive of left channel and negative of right channel to driver.

All this being said, just got this little dude: Amazon.com: Behringer EUROPORT MPA40BT All-In-One Portable PA System with Full Bluetooth Connectivity: Musical Instruments. INCREDIBLE jam box. I am getting more than 12 hours before a recharge. DJing a graduation party with it tonight, taking it with me golfing and doing awards ceremony after. Building a sub for it soon...

Well I'll be darned, it'll take 2ohms... Just looked at a few boards with this chip on ebay for an amp for the aforementioned sub. I'm aiming 100-200w with a XO board. Used it before? Just curious if the stuff is legit.

You might have more options if you step up to 8" and get lower F3 too?

Use a crossover, and you'll also want to isolate it from the midrange speakers in a separate enclosure so it doesn't pressurize their cones and get them moving.

With a passive crossover you might be better off with a higher crossover frequency like 300Hz to keep the parts smaller compared to a 100Hz which would be better with separate amps.

On another note, that thing would make a mean mini tapped horn.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.