Shelby Tubes As Sonosubs??????? Is That Right????????????

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Google tells me that these are typically made of stainless steel, and are purposely constructed with very thin walls so as to cut cleanly through soil. They might not be the easiest things to work with (depending on the kinds of tools you have available) and might tend to display ringing type resonances due to the thin metal construction.

I'd definitely take a closer look or ask the lady more questions before ordering these.

Andre Baptiste said:
lol..........yea its all funny......the reason i wanna go for a sono is cause i am rather useless with a saw of any type.....and paying to build a sub box would cost a lot over here......so i choosed a sono for the simplicicty in design

I actually did some contract work for Sonoco (as in sonotube) years ago. If you can get the grade of paperboard core used to roll paper or pulp, go for it. They make the concrete forms look like tinfoil.

that's what i was worried about the grade of paper they used in the paper factory to wrap their paper rolls...........it dont look as good as how the sonotube looks..but its thicker or thick as the sonotubes i see on the net...................about 1 inch of so......the paper they use to make tha tube seems not as strong as the sonotubes i see on tha net.and i called the leading concrete supplier in our country....lol and the man did not have a clue what i was talking about......jeeez can u believe that..........all this sonosub talk is getting me upset....cause it seems that its so easy to get over in the STATES.....i may just slaaaaaave and build an mdf enclosure like the normal peaople.........thanks for your help every body...i really appreciated it:( byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

OK, well if you want MDF that's fine. Mine's MDF.

I just want to re-state in case anybody else is considering this who does have access to industrial paperboard cores (the generic name), IMO opinion they are superior to concrete pier sonotubes for sonosubs. The reason the concrete service sonotubes look so much stronger/neater is that the grade of paper and glues used are appropriate for a wet service, i.e. they can't fall apart when somebody pours wet cement into them, and need to be thin so they can be cut with a hand saw.

The cores used for industrial paper and pulp transport are much stronger, since the rolls they support can weigh in the tons. That is why they have walls that are much thicker, and so should be much more rigid, and better for the sonosub.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.