Voxel & TB drivers, Neo or Not? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Old 17th June 2015, 06:22 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
Default Voxel & TB drivers, Neo or Not?

I'm building several pairs of Mini-Karlsonators (2 @ 0.40x & 1 @ 0.53x) as gifts for my son and niece. See: Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's

I want to build a small sub to go with the niece's mini-Ks, as she wants a minimalist system. The Voxel sub (See: Voxel - a mini-sub+) appears to fit the bill, although I'm open to other suggestions.

The Voxel design is based around a Tang Band W5-1138 Subwoofer. My specific question relates to the W5-1138SM Neo version versus the W5-1138SMF ferrite version for less than half the cost. I know the Neo magnet is smaller, but stronger. For what reason(s) might it be worth paying so much more for a speaker with the same specs?

Last edited by DizRotus; 17th June 2015 at 11:17 PM.
Old 17th June 2015, 06:47 PM   #2
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

No good reason to go for the extra expense if its not portable.

rgds, sreten.
There is nothing more practical than a really good theory - Ludwig Boltzmann
When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail - Abraham Maslow
Old 17th June 2015, 06:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
This appears to be one of the rare cases where two magnet versions are offered which are practically identical far as in the gap performance is concerned. At that point the only serious difference is size and weight. If you're building for stationary use the ceramic version would be the best overall value. The volume savings would hardly be appreciable unless you were going for every last cubic centimeter in a sealed arrangement, and weight of the ceramic motor might help keep it still if you were to actually use almost 10mm peak excursion.
Old 17th June 2015, 07:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
Thank you both for the prompt and informative replies. You reinforced my thoughts. Unless someone chimes in with a credible reason to spend the extra money, I'll go with the less expensive version. Portability is not an issue.

Hide this!Advertise here!