Voxel & TB drivers, Neo or Not?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm building several pairs of Mini-Karlsonators (2 @ 0.40x & 1 @ 0.53x) as gifts for my son and niece. See: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...onator-0-53x-dual-tc9fds-140.html#post4352069

I want to build a small sub to go with the niece's mini-Ks, as she wants a minimalist system. The Voxel sub (See: Voxel - a mini-sub+) appears to fit the bill, although I'm open to other suggestions.

The Voxel design is based around a Tang Band W5-1138 Subwoofer. My specific question relates to the W5-1138SM Neo version versus the W5-1138SMF ferrite version for less than half the cost. I know the Neo magnet is smaller, but stronger. For what reason(s) might it be worth paying so much more for a speaker with the same specs?

Last edited:
This appears to be one of the rare cases where two magnet versions are offered which are practically identical far as in the gap performance is concerned. At that point the only serious difference is size and weight. If you're building for stationary use the ceramic version would be the best overall value. The volume savings would hardly be appreciable unless you were going for every last cubic centimeter in a sealed arrangement, and weight of the ceramic motor might help keep it still if you were to actually use almost 10mm peak excursion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.