The Woof Woof Klam - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th June 2015, 08:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default The Woof Woof Klam

Drivers are the woofers from a JVC AX-R97 based system from 1989. Pretty awesome commercial 3ways for their time. The xovers were mid/high pass, so I had to estimate their power handling at the 125 wRMS/ch of the amp.

The drivers were sealed clamshell isobaric and a minimal Karlson Klam12 style cab/vent built around them.

1 kHz/1m/1w test = 101 dB, dropping to ambient 70 dB background at 45 degrees L/R.

Chest pounding punch? No, but clear bass string impact/note at 50 m across a grass grown pasture. Where there's call for a focused low freq window at a distance, this might well do.

102_0397.JPG

102_0396.JPG
Old 8th June 2015, 08:42 PM   #2
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

Cool -- the recent klam12 built by thejessman and loaded with Eminence C12cx is pretty good too - better than some of my FR - - this size seems better than a klam8 - - not had it outdoors but should be good at 50M - so far, klam12 and 15 have been pretty good- also my klam18 but its too bulky to get up on a cheap tripod - - when not using a coax, an extended K-tube and compression driver should work well for treble- -- a coax can also feed a K-tube

Click the image to open in full size.

by using a K-tube extended from a coax, the highs for the most part are removed from influence of the front chamber -it can also sound good with just a coaxial or fullrange

here's a mobile double klam

Last edited by freddi; 8th June 2015 at 08:54 PM.
Old 9th June 2015, 04:31 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

drmcclainphd --- what are the dimensions of your klam's coupler portion ? have you had any luck with mini-klams? I think the recent klam12 made for me would do pretty well with a Beta12lta - but its loaded with a stiff suspension edge wound 2.5" coil Eminence coax rated ~99dB and maybe loaded with a Selenium compression driver (or PRV) -can't remember - do you think we could get 100M throw? it would probably irk the neighbors if I tried that much spl...

since this post was moved to the subwoofer forum, here's one of Wayne Neuser's klam-subs from over 20 years ago -its duty was to augment those 8-10" Scan Speak woofers in the other four cabinets. From what I understand it had a passive radiator and perhaps a 10" woofer - I think from a description one fired upwards into a slot - no details were given so one would have to work out how to make one from this picture -- just looking at it, I would say there's a driver or PR firing at the floor

Last edited by freddi; 9th June 2015 at 04:47 AM.
Old 9th June 2015, 09:06 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

btw- I think the Neuser klam above was a woof-woof (isobarik) too
Old 9th June 2015, 10:42 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmcclainphd View Post

1 kHz/1m/1w test = 101 dB, dropping to ambient 70 dB background at 45 degrees L/R.

Chest pounding punch? No, but clear bass string impact/note at 50 m across a grass grown pasture. Where there's call for a focused low freq window at a distance, this might well do.

[
I'd have trouble seeing a loudspeaker 155 feet away let alone hear a double bass plunked at that distance in an open field. Do you mean feet rather than meters or am I confused about the inverse-square law?

Ben

Last edited by bentoronto; 9th June 2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 9th June 2015, 04:00 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoronto View Post
I'd have trouble seeing a loudspeaker 155 feet away let alone hear a double bass plunked at that distance in an open field. Do you mean feet rather than meters or am I confused about the inverse-square law?

Ben
Ben,

With the usual inverse distance loss of 6 dB per doubling of distance, a single typical front loaded 15" capable of around 120 dB at one meter will still produce over 98 dB at 50 meters, well above the ambient noise of 70 dB.

Art
Old 9th June 2015, 05:30 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
Ben,

With the usual inverse distance loss of 6 dB per doubling of distance, a single typical front loaded 15" capable of around 120 dB at one meter will still produce over 98 dB at 50 meters, well above the ambient noise of 70 dB.

Art
Assuming a loud 120dB at 1 meter, I seem to get something more like 86dB (less a bunch of additional losses along the way on the ground), which is not a lot oomph at double-bass frequencies.

5 and a bit doublings?

Ben

Last edited by bentoronto; 9th June 2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old 9th June 2015, 08:58 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

here's Lars Moseholm's spl plots out to 25M for a little klam with 8" speaker which was marketed by an Alan Weiss some years back - I don't remember if his report on Job Ulfman's Karlson forum had details for conditions or not.

this little klam has a lot of 'sea shell' artifacts which are obnoxious up close - but sounded pretty clear 30 to 150 feet away

here's a close copy of the Weiss "Rocket"

here's a sound clip of my klam15 loaded with an old Eminence cast frame C15cx, generic Eminence network (might be the 3k5?) and probably a Selenium 210ti - for this clip I crammed a piece of 1" pipe down the coax throat and taped on a 5.5" long K-tube

I'd almost swear 40 yrs ago seeing a K-variant which wasn't klam nor regular K in an outdoor pa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mupb...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by freddi; 9th June 2015 at 09:15 PM.
Old 9th June 2015, 09:58 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

A mix of quantitative and qualitative statements.

Yes, from a great distance away you can hear a double-bass playing. Your hearing mechanism can even "hear" the low notes because that is a skill the brain has... to recreate the fundamentals. That is well known by many on this forum. Sounds pretty good to non-hobbyists.

But if the amp removed all the sounds over say, 100 Hz, likely you'd hear nothing much that thumped like a double-bass when listening from a distance.

Ben
Old 9th June 2015, 10:22 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoronto View Post
Assuming a loud 120dB at 1 meter, I seem to get something more like 86dB (less a bunch of additional losses along the way on the ground), which is not a lot oomph at double-bass frequencies.

5 and a bit doublings?

Ben

Both of you are wrong, LOL.

6dB per doubling of distance is based on free-field spherical sound divergence, which implies no nearby objects or surfaces at all.

For a bass speaker sitting on the ground, the divergence is not spherical at bass frequencies. It's more hemispherical than spherical (hell, most of our sims are done in 2PI to reflect that :-)). Divergence is more likely to measure closer to 4dB than 6dB - see Alton Everest's Master Handbook of Acoustics for more information on the subject.

Hide this!Advertise here!