what do you think of these?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's my first year in pro audio, and never see something liek this, somebody probably though about it, but I never find result, maybe you do!

so here some designs, not plans! the dimenssion are not ok and everything is not calculated... but when it will be, will it work?

I put SketchUp doc so you can edit them if you want!

thanks! :)

Attachments

• sub idee 3.png
    sub idee 3.png
    155.8 KB · Views: 165
  • sub idee 3.1.png
    sub idee 3.1.png
    159.9 KB · Views: 169
  • sub idee 4.png
    sub idee 4.png
    155.6 KB · Views: 156
  • sub idee 5.1.png
    sub idee 5.1.png
    166.2 KB · Views: 166
  • sub idee 5.png
    sub idee 5.png
    156 KB · Views: 159

GM

Joined 2003
Ancient history from the earliest days of [mid]bass horns and still used today............. 2nd, 5th sketch is a folded compound loaded horn, though ideally the front chamber should be expanding otherwise its slot loaded and 3rd, 4th sketch is a folded compression horn [FLH].

GM

Hornresp can calculate these easily.

The more common form of these cabinets is W-bins, which IIRC will go stupid-loud from 70-150Hz when loaded with some 15"s. If you get a lot of them in a big pile, you might (might) make it to <60Hz. I'd expect yours to have similar performance.

It used to be the case that a 70Hz bottom end was plenty enough. These days, speciality systems can hit 25Hz at spectacular SPLs, though 35Hz is a more common target for larger PA systems, smaller ones settling at 50 or so.

Chris

what is your opinion about them?(these types of [mid]bass cabinet). Do you think I should try to sim them with HR? or the design will never go to 35hz? my goal is just to do a small cab that can hit high SPL at 30-35hz. maybe it's no lt possible! but I'll try! I will build them to test them if I found something interesting :)

GM

Joined 2003
and are they good? I knew it was existing but I dont know where and when! the 5th could be modify! but like it is right now, is it ok? and the 4th work well? and do you have a site to help me calculate this type of horn? the only thing i know to calculate is TH

Of course they are when properly designed! They were the 'backbone' of cinema sound, large PA apps till after WWII and used sporadically up into the '70s by 'house' bands, nightclubs or similar because they could be had for little or free when cinemas were either upgraded or dismantled.

As Chris noted though, they have to be huge to go low, even with baffle 'wings' as shown in this 1943 catalog. Note how large, heavy it is just to get to 60 Hz at high SPL, so not really a viable option except in a ~permanent install [click on it to enlarge]: http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/catalogs/1943/page09.jpg

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.