Angled drivers in a BR box - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2015, 07:11 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Angled drivers in a BR box

I have built various different BR boxes in the past and found the models in Bassbox to be fairly accurate.

For this particular box, I need to the "front" of the box to be ~26" wide OD. Depth is much less of a concern. 2x15" drivers won't fit on a 26" baffle plate. I do have some extra volume to play with, so I can put each driver on it's own baffle plate and angle them inwards in a "V" formation.

The revised volume etc all models well, however, my question is how will the "V" formation affect the modeled characteristics? Is that something Hornresp can do? I have played with it, but never used it for a design that I actually built. The boxes will be pushed hard in PA use (132 dB + per box @ XMAX @ 3000 Watts)

Second question is regarding the port location. I'm thinking two ports "behind" each driver against the sides of the box would be best, but then I started wondering if it would be better/worst to have the port between the drivers at the throat of the "V"...

Thanks!

Vince
Old 7th May 2015, 09:38 PM   #2
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Make the box taller and put the drivers across
the diagonal if you don't want wasted space.

Gives an obvious placement for the ports.

rgds, sreten.
Old 7th May 2015, 11:09 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

or

Click the image to open in full size.

3000 watts on a pair of 15's ?
Do you know what power compression is ?
Old 7th May 2015, 11:36 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

A V baffle has no impact on the system response at the frequencies a sub operates at, this has been done by numerous manufacturers over the years and it's always just to optimize pack space or to present a more compact speaker front for larger installations.
Old 8th May 2015, 12:25 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conanski View Post
A V baffle has no impact on the system response at the frequencies a sub operates at, this has been done by numerous manufacturers over the years and it's always just to optimize pack space or to present a more compact speaker front for larger installations.
Thanks! I know it has been done before; just didn't know if it effected the predicted response or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman bates View Post
or

3000 watts on a pair of 15's ?
Do you know what power compression is ?
That pic is exactly what I had in mind. That looks like a standard BR but with the drivers in a push-pull config?

Drivers are Dayton PA385s. Of course there is a bit of power compression at 1500 watts per driver, however I have never personally measured it. A respected user on this board has spoken to how well these drivers get rid of VC heat and I tend to agree. I've used them at those power levels, with good clean power, before with great results in 1 x 15" BR boxes.

Vince
Old 8th May 2015, 12:47 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_Hayduk View Post
That pic is exactly what I had in mind. That looks like a standard BR but with the drivers in a push-pull config?

Drivers are Dayton PA385s. Of course there is a bit of power compression at 1500 watts per driver, however I have never personally measured it. A respected user on this board has spoken to how well these drivers get rid of VC heat and I tend to agree. I've used them at those power levels, with good clean power, before with great results in 1 x 15" BR boxes.
Vince,

You probably saw this:
Compact 2x15" PPSL Using Dayton PA385-8 Drivers

Too small, but that's all I want to haul, and they still kick hard :^)

A slot will reduce the cabinet volume a bit less than a "V", but as mentioned before, neither has much effect in the sub passband.

You can model the effect of either in Hornresp to see where the upper peaks and dips lie.

EAW puts the port between the drivers (which are on a "V") in their SB1000 cabinets, though that particular arrangement can't be represented exactly in Hornresp.

Art

Hide this!Advertise here!