PAL 12 + TH-18 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th May 2015, 02:37 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default PAL 12 + TH-18

Haven't posted here lately...hope there are a ton of new designs brewing!
I finally broke out my system this past weekend and got it somewhat "tuned"
This is the first time I've actually heard it all together at boogy volume....I was smiling...big time!

Lots more tuning needed. I didn't do any sub specific sweeps, and I didn't save any, but I will post some measurements of the subs working in conjunction....next time I have it together.

(No joke, my friends mom lived almost a mile from the testing place....she posted on the video my friend uploaded on Facebook and said she heard "wicked bass outside her house")

Click the image to open in full size.

Amp power is qsc 4050 on the th18's and qsc 1450 on the PAL 12's
Plenty for both IMO
Old 5th May 2015, 02:38 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Ohh and btw I love the clarity and detail this 4 way active system deff delivers!
Old 5th May 2015, 04:18 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Cool.
Do the PAL12s add much output to the party? IIRC, the 18s cover a very similar frequency range.

How did you find an empty space to test? - rather difficult around here, just wondering if you contacted local authorities or what.

Chris
Old Yesterday, 12:00 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Do the Pal12's not keep up? Is that why you added the TH18? Or were you just testing out both because you had the opportunity. Still badly wanna build your Pal12's. You did some fine work on them and all the enclosures look awesome!
Old Yesterday, 12:39 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Well i had built the pair of TH18s a while back. Gave them to someone who never paid me for them, two years later I took them back. I had already built the PAL12s at that point, so instead of adding / building more PAL12s I used the TH18s with them. I had an extra channel available in the drive rack 260 anyway so I said why not.

The PAL12s do add some to the output, I'm sure another pair of TH18s would be better, but this is what I have for the time being.

I haven't taken the system out since that day, so no updates / measurements as of yet.
Old Yesterday, 03:24 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Gotcha. Still gonna build me some Pal12's. I like the idea of it. Not sure about the driver yet. Trying to find an 8 ohm 12" driver that would sim well with the Design. Will series the 2 enclosures and run them in a 4 ohm load with a Berry ep4000 that i already have. Any ideas?
Old Yesterday, 03:26 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Budget? (For driver recommendation)
Old Yesterday, 03:27 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

$200/per....-ish.
Old Yesterday, 03:31 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

It seems the b&c 12ps100 may be a good match for the PAL12 judging solely by the Fs being higher than the lab 12. You'd have to run the sim to see how it should do.
It also has a 4" VC, and it right around your range $$
Old Yesterday, 03:32 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Here"s my dilemma. Before i started doing some serious research about some subs, i made some purchases i'm stuck with. I have 2 yorkville ls608 enclosures and i loaded them with some PRV18sw3000's. I love the tapped horn idea and the PRV's seem like a poor choice for it. So it's back to the drawing board with the subs. The PRV's don't go as low as i need in the ls608 enclosure. (drops steep at around 48hz) I need something that swings from around 30-80hz. Pal12's look like the culprit.

Hide this!Advertise here!