Sub amp question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th April 2015, 10:21 PM   #1
jhrlrd is offline jhrlrd  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Sub amp question

I have a mordaunt-short ms909w. I believe its powered by a built-in class D amp.
Is there any tweaks or upgrades a guy can do? Not familiar with class D amps, so I'm wondering if there are any opamps , caps or resistors etc that can be upgraded. Not getting bad sound, but any improvements are welcome.
Old 16th April 2015, 11:24 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Class d amps suffer from bus pumping with long low notes.
Its better to bridge class d amps for a subwoofer.
Old 17th April 2015, 02:27 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

It probably operates in BTL. I'd be very surprised if it was single-ended.

To answer the OP, what exactly are you looking for?
IMHO, its a middle-range consumer subwoofer. You're very unlikely to change the sound noticably/at all by swapping some op-amps and resistors.
Power supply caps, maybe.

If it as mine and I wanted better low end, I'd either sell it and buy parts to build something better, or pull the driver and amp, sell the cabinet and build a tapped horn that'll hit 20Hz.

Chris
Old 17th April 2015, 03:13 PM   #4
jhrlrd is offline jhrlrd  Canada
diyAudio Member

Looking for deeper extension, better clarity and/or tighten up what it does do. So you're saying better components won't do anything, and that I should just go with a better one. Any suggestions? No bigger than 10". I don't have time to build anything.

Last edited by jhrlrd; 17th April 2015 at 03:30 PM.
Old 17th April 2015, 03:18 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

You might try moving it to different locations in your room. That can make a big difference in how it sounds. Room placement makes surprisingly large differences. You could get another sub, and use both... Helps smooth out room response.
Old 18th April 2015, 09:36 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrlrd View Post
Looking for deeper extension, better clarity and/or tighten up what it does do. So you're saying better components won't do anything, and that I should just go with a better one. Any suggestions? No bigger than 10". I don't have time to build anything.
I'm saying that a different op-amp will make the most miniscule of difference, if any. Further down the chain, we're wiggling bits of cardboard around using magnets. I'd try to optimise the worst bits before messing with trying to fix something benign.

Block one of the ports and see how you like that. That'll tune the cabinet lower, and give a more gradual rolloff. Combined with room gain, you'll probably get a "tighter" sound, but there should be more right at the bottom end, too.
Playing with positioning is also good advice.

Chris
"If you underspecify some resistors they can add extra phlogiston to the music mix. This gives a much more dramatic effect than refulgence, however superb it may be. Phlogiston can move a listener in a way that ordinary music cannot." - DF96

Hide this!Advertise here!