DIY subwoofer build 18" Dayton ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You guys are makin' me think, that I am missing something bass-wise, if it only goes to 27hz.......,.......:)

Haha...weeeellllll...... you are.

It's not a huge deal though, as home theater setups that shoot for response down low enough to cover all the effects are in the minority, as once you start trying to get down lower than the 20's, size and required power will quickly ramp up and take over if you're also shooting for THX reference levels.

The general advice (that I give anyway) is to do what you're doing. It puts you a head and shoulders above the typical "theater room" type stuff you see in home improvement shows, and helps me sleep at night to not recommend potentially marriage ending, buick sized subwoofers with their electricity meter rending multi-kilowatt amplifiers. :D

Yes, if it's not the duct board variety like used in heat-A/C ducts, but the paper backless wall insulation type was used for decades in speakers without issue when either covered with a grill cloth or similar and prosound used it without covering the vents, though for high excursion woofers and/or when kids, pets or folks who have allergy problems is 'in the mix', the vent should be covered with something durable like a fine metal cloth or my fave, pet resistant screening for screen doors, etc..

Acousta-stuff is fine, which I gather from forum postings is no better than cheap polyfil pillow, etc. stuffing and some folks have been switching over to a shredded jeans stuffing. Heck, I've even used old cotton socks, t-shirts to stuff a sealed alignment or ~aperiodically damp a vent, so lots of acceptable options.

Bottom line, most any absorbent material can be used, it just takes differing amounts depending on what it is, just don't use closed cell foam.

GM

Some of the ordered items have started to trickle in. Cabinet, driver and misc. parts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    453.8 KB · Views: 157
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.