Low powered subwoofer recommendation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm presently looking to build an inexpensive subwoofer that will be used solely for HT use.

The requirements are: must be DVC so that I might use a 45W/channel high-current stereo amp in mono mode to power it, and must be inexpensive.

So far I'm considering the Dayton Shielded DVC 12" and the Dayton Shielded DVC 10" drivers from Partsexpress.

Both are inexpensive, are DVC, and state that they'll work with modest power.

Does anyone have any experience with these drivers or wish to suggest something else that will fit the bill?

I appreciate all the help offered, Thanks!

The total, in your hands price when ordering just 1 thing from Parts Express will be higher than you think. It'll be $US35 for the sub, $US30 for shipping, and $CDN10-15 at your post office.

For that money, you could get 2 of these:

http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=W8740C

as an example. Even if you don't like these, you look at Canadian sources first when you don't have a specific driver already set in stone.

Richie, I had asked about that in the Solid State forum before but couldn't get any hard-and-fast answers not proper schematics for such a circuit.

If you know of any such schem, i'd appreciate a 'heads up'

And leadbelly, I was actually going to mention that a canadian source for drivers would be even more appealing due to shipping/duty, thanks!

All you need is a very simple op-amp circuit, a simple inverting amplifier with a gain of 1. It's one of the most common op-amp circuits there is and any text book/website will have it in right in the 'beginners' section.

Feed one channel with this and the other as normal.

Have a look at Rod Elliott's site ESP. I think he has a bridging adaptor as one of his projects, and probably a reasonably-priced PCB.

ESP's site explains a circuit to go between a pre and power section of an amp internally or between a sep. pre-amp and power-amp.

Seeing as this is a receiver i don't believe his circuit will work, nor do I think it's really worth the added expense and hastle when a DVC (or two smaller drivers) will work.

Thanks for your help though!

manxam said:
Seeing as this is a receiver i don't believe his circuit will work, nor do I think it's really worth the added expense and hastle when a DVC (or two smaller drivers) will work.

It'll still work, you need to use it on your CD or AUX inputs on the receiver.

BUT you are quite right that it is much easier to just buy a DVC or 2 drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.