12" Driver and Sim question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

Since my mom (I kid you not) wants me to build her a PPSL mostly for music I was wondering which drivers to use.

I have about 120l of net volume to play with (60l per driver) so double 12" vented seems to be the sweet spot as far as extension goes. Budget wise I was thinking around 100-125€ a piece.

I simmed a lot of drivers around that price point and ended up with 2 possible contenders:

Monacor Blackbass 300 (121€)
http://www.monacor.de/en/products/car-hi-fi/subwoofers/blackbass-300/

Fountek FW300B (108€)
Products_Fountek Electronics Co.,Ltd

Now, what I do when simming is take a vented enclosure and define volume (125l in this case) and a tuning frequency. Then I put in highpass and lowpass filters. With the filters in place I go look at the excursion and put the tuning frequency such that the 2 excursion maxima are the same height. Then I add some low frequency boost to even out the respons and lower the tuning frequency to keep the excursion maxima the same. I keep lowering tuning and adding boost until the drivers can't take the power needed to reach Xmax (from the amplifier apparent load tab in winisd) or until the amp doesn't have enough power or until the vent starts eating to much volume.

Is this a good way of doing things or not?

In any case this was the result for the above mentioned drivers:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The monacor tuned to 23Hz with a 3dB boost at 22Hz gives about 0.5dB more output and 5Hz more extension then the fountek tuned to 28. Is it a no-brainer to go for the monacor or are there other things I need to take into consideration? The fountek does look a lot sturdier and weighs 1.3kg more and since it is mostly for music I don't really need the extension of the monacor.

If any of you know of a better driver available in Europe at this pricepoint I'm all ears.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.