High SPL bass section for Wakeboard boat

Just one more quick note before bed...

Depending on how this is laid out there could be enough room for the drivers as it is, it is a 50 liter chamber. And reducing the cross sectional area of the slot not only reduces the overall box size by up to 10 liters, it greatly reduces the peak, allowing for a higher crossover point and a bit more high end bandwidth (but at the expense of a couple hz bandwidth on the low end). I wouldn't run a sub that high but OP mentioned a 200 hz high end so...

I wasn't sure if these things were immediately obvious especially for the people who don't know how to use Hornresp and want to attempt to sim this in Unibox so I thought I'd mention it, it is basically just a 6th order bandpass so the effect of specific tweaks should be pretty intuitive.

First of all thanks for the help. Maybe only 5 minutes for you but I appreciate it.

I want to make sure I am understanding your concept correctly. Are you thinking something like the attached picture? Rear volume vented through long slot port, front of the woofers firing directly into their own slot.

Attachments

• concept.JPG
    concept.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 108
Just look at the price on the Jl 13w6v2 that op WAS using and was unhappy with.

It is indeed expensive retail it's still *kinda expensive non retail as well, but about 25 percent cheaper.

Yes it was expensive. In it's defense I never really set it up to succeed. I still believe they are excellent drivers but I had it in its minimal sized sealed enclosure (or slightly smaller!) and then the whole box was placed in a storage locker that had a single 10 inch vent into the cabin. There was quite a bit of shaking in the boat but not much sound. The woofer eventually gave up.

Out of interest I did throw a few of my techno tracks through a spectrum analyzer the other day, and I found out that what I thought was 30 hz actually is 40 hz.

Almost all of the tracks I tried were mixed with >40 hz in mind, some of them were down as much as 20 dB at 30 hz, some about 10 db and most of them somewhere between(altho more like 20 than 10.

This is the kind of techno I'm refering to(which I consider very low tuned), thought it might be out of interest when you choose how low you wish to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsi7d5e7Xg0

Thank you *very* much for doing this. I am going to listen to this again tonight on a decent set of headphones to get a accurate representation.

So if I understand correctly this track has very little content lower than 40hz right? Somewhere between 10 and 20dB lower at 30Hz than at 40Hz correct?

I want to make sure I am understanding your concept correctly. Are you thinking something like the attached picture?

Kinda but not really. More like the pic in the attachment. See how the the slot the woofers fire into is tiny? It only has to be big enough to control velocity. That whole top board would be removable so you can get the drivers in and out. The slot opening is tiny so there is good moisture protection.

The drawing is not 100 percent related to the sim I showed, the Lrc in the sim is too short to match this drawing (and I masked chamber resonances in the sim) but there's a bunch of ways to lay this out and if you get creative you can make just about anything work. It is absolutely essential that the sim match the layout you choose, Lrc HAS to be correct and chamber resonance cannot be masked or the sim won't match the final product. I didn't know exactly how it would be best laid out (your largest box shape is not a perfect rectangle) and I didn't want to spend more than 5 minutes, so with the sim I provided what you see is what you get, and it doesn't match this drawing exactly.

I would suggest playing with several different layouts and completely different alignments in Hornresp first before deciding on any given design though.

Attachments

• slot pic.png
    slot pic.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 104
Thank you *very* much for doing this. I am going to listen to this again tonight on a decent set of headphones to get a accurate representation.

So if I understand correctly this track has very little content lower than 40hz right? Somewhere between 10 and 20dB lower at 30Hz than at 40Hz correct?

Download Audacity and run your favorite tracks through it.

I don't have Audacity or any music on the computer I'm on but here's a pic of some tracks I analyzed in the past. Top pic is "Get Low", a rappy type tune by Lil Jon with a simple 2 note bassline. Bottom track is "Bass I Love You", which you probably won't be playing out on the lake, but I'm not going to edit the pic just so you don't have to see it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here's another pic I did a long time ago, the top track is Van Halen "Jump". Classic rock doesn't have any bass. The bottom two tracks are car audio system bass cd tracks. Again, not going to edit the pic so you don't have to see them.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hunter by Kaiju, a track that Sine introduced to us. As he has pointed out, when low passed this track is the equivalent of a steady sine wave through most of it's duration.

I haven't analyzed any tracks lately but as I mentioned Royals by Lorde has a 20 hz bassline (if the rumors are true) and this is the direction all new music is going, especially in the genres you are interested in. With a 50 hz tuning the Van Halen track would sound pretty awesome but everything else here would be pretty sucky and disappointing, the entire bass line would be missing.

Last edited:
This is the spectrum of the actual track I linked to:

Here are a few others, you can see the track name in the cubase track and find it on youtube to listen to them.

This one is a dubstep track:

These were just a few examples that might help you make up your mind

Can't see any of the pictures. Not sure if it's a problem on my end but I doubt it. I can copy and paste the addresses into my browser and see them that way but that's a bit of a pain.

The problem with analyzing tracks this way (by looking at pictures) is that you have to then find the track and play it to correlate the picture to the sound, and if you don't play it on a system that can reproduce the lowest notes you'll never know what it was supposed to sound like in the first place, so unless you have a very capable sub system already you won't know what you are missing. You might think the lowest notes are not that important because you never actually heard them. In my experience, with the music I like, it's important to get down to 27 hz with flat response.

Last edited:
The problem with analyzing tracks this way (by looking at pictures) is that you have to then find the track and play it to correlate the picture to the sound, and if you don't play it on a system that can reproduce the lowest notes you'll never know what it was supposed to sound like in the first place, so unless you have a very capable sub system already you won't know what you are missing.

The track name is in the cubase project track(easy to find on youtube).

The good thing with techno is that the bass is very repetative, making these pictures quite accurate. Dubstep is harder however as the bass notes change much more regularly and the pitch and frequency of the bass frequencies goes up and down with it.

Attachments

• calypso.jpg
    calypso.jpg
    459 KB · Views: 119
  • decision time.jpg
    decision time.jpg
    456.1 KB · Views: 114
  • old rustle.jpg
    old rustle.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 116
  • taster peter - twelve.jpg
    taster peter - twelve.jpg
    460.7 KB · Views: 110
  • wanderlust.jpg
    wanderlust.jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 106
Download Audacity and run your favorite tracks through it.

I don't have Audacity or any music on the computer I'm on but here's a pic of some tracks I analyzed in the past. Top pic is "Get Low", a rappy type tune by Lil Jon with a simple 2 note bassline.

Those plots are interesting and it is funny that you mention "Get Low", that is the song that was playing when my JL Audio 13w6v2 finally gave up.

I will download Audacity and spend some time with it. Do you know of an app that will let me actually artificially high pass a track and select the F3 of the filter? It is one thing to look a these pictures and realize there is content below 40Hz but it is another to know how the track would sound without that content being reproduced.

Ever listen to reggae music on a 4-AA battery powered plastic boom box with 3" speakers? It's enough to make you want to commit murder.

Most 'dance' music sounds 'ok' through 50 Hz bass bins. You do miss a lot, but it's better than no bass, which is what you get with an underpowered system.

Most 'dance' music sounds 'ok' through 50 Hz bass bins. You do miss a lot, but it's better than no bass, which is what you get with an underpowered system.

I was pushing 140+db in my last car system with Planet Audio BB1250.1 amp and dual 12 inch Kicker W7 (Kijiji package deal $300 all in) in a large ported box tuned to 30 (and flat to 30, not the junk box recommendation Kicker gives). That was with the car off, NOT running, and the battery was just a bit bigger than the battery in my lawnmower. (Chev Cavalier.)

I didn't bother adding more or larger batteries, the car already rattled like it was going to fall apart.

Of course a car is a lot different than an open boat but I'll go for the 30 or lower tuning every time regardless of how much power is available. If there's not enough power add more batteries and amps. I just showed a sim that says these driver can do 124 db (minus power and port compression), that should be plenty loud enough, and it shouldn't be any kind of trouble providing them with power. I wouldn't shoot for 20 hz but I absolutely wouldn't go any higher than 30.

Yeah, it will be loud if you stick your head in the subwoofer box. At the end of a ski rope you can have a 12" clattering against the backplate and you'll barely be able to hear it over the engine. Subtract about 45dB from 'peak calculated' SPL to get real world in open space at 100 feet. A ski rope is 35 to 70, depending on how good you are :). Shorter and it's harder to get around bouys or get much air. Without more cubic footage to work with, you'll probably have to compromise on extension.

Thanks for the insight guys. I think I am beginning to think I should aim for a lower tuning. My last fear is that even though the box can hit low it will be lost in an open environment, and I will be left throwing watts at another boat shaker. Add the wind noise when moving and really how much low bass are we going to be able to hear?

I have never heard a good sub system in a boat period. It makes me think that a different approach is needed. eg. Trade some low frequency extension in for louder (somewhat higher) bass that can actually be heard.