Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pyle-Pro = False marketing - T/S specs revealed
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2015, 02:45 AM   #11
erickalan77 is offline erickalan77  United States
diyAudio Member

good to know Mathew. thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 03:48 AM   #12
Matthew Morgan J is offline Matthew Morgan J  United States
diyAudio Member

No problem.
Hornresponse can be really useful when trying to figure out which cabinet configuration best suits that driver (the software is a free download made available by an awesome guy named David M who can be found and communicated with here on DIYaudio, and don't worry even though the software is from Australia it will display itself right-side-up be default ) ...
Old 10th March 2015, 04:00 AM   #13
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
Old guy with soldering iron
diyAudio Member

That does seem surprisingly good for a Pyle. I didn't know Pyle had even got around to publishing ANY T/S specs (imaginary or not)... time was that they seemed to assume "12 inch" told the whole story.

But yeah, not ideal for a sub, at least a home theater type sub.
Old 10th March 2015, 04:34 AM   #14
just a guy is offline just a guy  Canada
diyAudio Member

It's a pro driver. No pro driver is ideal for a home theater sub.
Old 10th March 2015, 02:26 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Well I did some real world simulation. 200 watts RMS (conservative-my sub amp bridged =270 watts/RMS/8ohm) , 3rd order butterworth high pass @ 30hz. (what I currently have installed in my crossover), 4th order L/W @ 90hz lowpass. No EQ.

It should stay linear. Phase may or may not be wonky. I am a noob that deep into theory. However I am curious about integration with my B&W acoustic suspension monitors (50hz. Fs w/ Low Qe) But with a crossover the phase is going to shift.....

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10th March 2015, 02:54 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaslo View Post
That does seem surprisingly good for a Pyle. I didn't know Pyle had even got around to publishing ANY T/S specs (imaginary or not)... time was that they seemed to assume "12 inch" told the whole story.

But yeah, not ideal for a sub, at least a home theater type sub.

It is not suitable as a Pro-Sub, due to it's high Fs. it is excursion/power limited -In my opinion. Fantastic for professional bass guitar. may or may not be great for lower power home use....

Pyle post T/S specs for some of their pro drivers. The ones that have good, traditional specs (the grey ones). This line they do not publish specs. Perhaps; MusicGear is/was in fantasy land trying to visually/feature/power rating match the Pyle driver to RCF catalog offerings.
Old 10th March 2015, 03:09 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

anyone listen to music on a "retail home theater sub" ? went to Magnolia one day. I literally told the salesman "turn that $$tt down, it sounds horrible", " I only want to hear the little B&W speakers, turn off the sub"...every single sub was horrible; partly setup, partly design....rhetorical question. no replies please

Last edited by erickalan77; 10th March 2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10th March 2015, 03:35 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

more for you to consider

Not 96db or 99db;
about 93-94db....

Last edited by erickalan77; 10th March 2015 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10th March 2015, 04:25 PM   #19
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickalan77 View Post
The specs are wonky.

However. Excursion and Impedance are very different. the PDW could never handle it's rated output ???

So I want safe operation in the 25-50hz region for synth bass.

I used 50.5 grams of mass for a tested moving mass of 136gm- an RCF is 150 grams.

I am undecided. May just return it. ... It would work at home, but I want more than "just work".

Any opinions on operating below Fs ?
Typical for Pyle and mobile audio 'subs' in general where I noticed it was mostly recommended/sold.

No, not long term below the lower mids, so safe operation so far below its Fs will be severely limited to around ~6 W according to WinISD 0.7.

FWIW, to calculate Vas you ideally want to add enough mass to lower Fs by at least 1.56x or ~ 36 Hz.

Nothing wrong with operating a driver below Fs, BagEnd became famous for theirs that is used only below Fs, you just have to accept its much reduced power handling and protect it accordingly either electronically or acoustically with a massive horn.

For high power apps with > ~0.4 Qts drivers, a TL tuned to Fs/Qts has worked well for me.

Based on your performance goals combined with MfL's false advertising though, I'd want my money back or at least a swap for one that does meet them.

GM
Old 10th March 2015, 04:45 PM   #20
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickalan77 View Post
anyone listen to music on a "retail home theater sub" ? went to Magnolia one day.
Yeah, I recently auditioned the local Magnolia room's high end front projector THX reference theater allegedly professionally calibrated and it was pretty disappointing overall with no deep blacks even at super dim theater light levels and overpowering, boomy bass.

The mains, surround sound was pretty impressive though except that with such a large screen with the mains so far below 2/3 screen height, my brain didn't quite reconcile this much offset for speech, though maybe if I hadn't known this...........

The HT setups in the Best Buy area are so bad that I much prefer a modest DIY 2.1 system overall with the processor set to 'theater wide'.

GM

Pyle-Pro = False marketing - T/S specs revealedHide this!Advertise here!