Sub for Party Boat - Suggestions Please - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2015, 01:41 AM   #1
nunyagd is offline nunyagd  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Sub for Party Boat - Suggestions Please

Hi All -

First post after reading a lot of different threads on this forum!

I have a pontoon boat that we use for lake parties and we're very happy with everything except the bass. I have a PA amp and speakers which do a great job (Crown XLS 1500 and 4 Electro-Voice ZX-1's). We've tried several car audio subs and spent thousands but in open air they are useless.

After some testing, I've found that the best location, at least for a bass reflex cabinet is here (see red square):
Click the image to open in full size.

In that location, I can place an enclosure that is 22" (north to south) x 32" (east to west) and up to about 35" tall.

I've been considering a tapped horn and have looked at designs like the THAM15 and even the TH18 though a bit taller than I'd hoped. That said I'm not married to any specific design and could just as easily put a bass reflex cab there (even considered buying an 18" pro audio sub as there are several that would fit. However, something tells me I can get more performance for less if I DIY. I can provide serious power if needed and don't mind spending a few hundred on a good driver (though cheaper is fine with me!). I've also probably built over 100 sub enclosures over the years (worked my way through college doing custom car audio) and have the tools needed to build just about anything made from plywood.

What say you experts? If you were trying to get the girls booty's shakin' on the lake, what would you put in this location?

Thanks for your advice!
Old 9th March 2015, 02:42 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

SS15 loaded with 4015lf is my suggestion. That'll fit in your dimensions easily. You can feed it safely 700w AES and get a hell of a noise. All for less than 300 in parts. Won't hit those subbass frequencies but its SPL above 50hz is top notch.

Depending on your budget and how much you really think you need deep bass extension below 50hz, there are other options as well. The more information the better. If you can afford it, have the space, and have the power to feed it, the TH18 is a monster.
Old 9th March 2015, 02:41 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Take a look at House Wrecker by Decware, a couple of 15's in that box will move something!! Could build it and use it as a another bench seat.
I am using it with a single 15 in my HT room and it will put out insane bass
Old 9th March 2015, 03:33 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

For an open air venue a folded horn loaded sub is fairly standard here in California. There is a site that seems to cater to the "party" crowd DIY and DJs. speakerplans.com ? Horn designs and forums. Or buy some Cerwin Vega , B52, EAW etc. folded horns. hollywooddj.com and PSSL.com are good sources. Cerwin Vega and EAW are very popular here. . . . . Car audio and home audio gear be it raw drivers, finished product or DIY designs are not suitable. You want high efficiency that you will only find in pro audio gear. RCF makes some wicked 15s and 18s for example the RCF L18P400 $330 @ amazon
Old 9th March 2015, 03:39 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Outdoors and lots of background noise. Two big efficient 15's to ~50hz with one or two thousand watts is the way to go.
Old 9th March 2015, 03:55 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Something small and a bit popular at speakerplans.com DaveyT's Booty Bass Build - Speakerplans.com Forums - Page 1

Last edited by erickalan77; 9th March 2015 at 04:01 PM.
Old 9th March 2015, 05:01 PM   #7
sine143 is offline sine143  United States
diyAudio Member

Get something with weather proofed cone. Bc or 18 sound is my suggestion.
Old 10th March 2015, 11:46 PM   #8
PB2 is offline PB2  United States
diyAudio Member

How about 4 Infinity 1260Ws in about 10 cu ft tuned to 28 Hz would probably do it, unless you need more extension. Here are a pair in about 7 cu ft tuned to 22 at 1000W:
What to do with Big Finished Boxes

Use EQ for extension down to the tuning frequency.

Dividing the power across 4 woofers helps.

Last edited by PB2; 10th March 2015 at 11:49 PM.
Old 11th March 2015, 12:08 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I'd forget trying to go so low. IIRC, you're working in pretty much a free-field environment, so you want to sim in 4pi space. Efficiency is key, here.

THs have been shown to be at least a little bit directional, so I'd start there.

Chris
Old 11th March 2015, 12:21 AM   #10
PB2 is offline PB2  United States
diyAudio Member

I think going low is what is going to make it sound good, depends on his source but a lot of new
material has deeper extension. He should go for at least 32 Hz.

4 Infinity 1260Ws in about 10 cu ft tuned to 28 Hz, tune lower if your program material has lower content:
Attached Images
File Type: png INFINITY-1260Wx4-28.png (70.4 KB, 197 views)
File Type: png INFINITY-1260Wx4-28-DISP.png (46.8 KB, 196 views)

Last edited by PB2; 11th March 2015 at 12:31 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!