PA Mid horn ideas/help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DJK, is the manta ray cabinet you show here the cab in the graph in post #3? If so, it looks like it would work with a 1,4" CD or two installed in the mouth with a waveguide down to 900 hz as a nice monster top from 100hz and up

Last edited:
The Manta ray cabinet was the dual 12" simulation. I will have a SEOS 18 soon but don think there is a way to put the SEOS inside the mouth of the manta ray. Would be cool if it could be done. But wouldnt that cause more problems also with a horn that big being placed in the mouth of a mid horn?

For now I just plan on sitting the horn on top of the cabinet. Probably build a cabinet around the horn for easier placement on top of the mid cabinet. The SEOS has no mounting holes on the outside so I will just have to make an extension epoxied on the outside.

Either way should be fun. Still waiting to hear back what the 12's will cost me locally.

I dont know how I would mount my waveguide inside the dual 12 mouth yet. But if other designs will work I guess it will work for me also.

When it comes to the linked dual 12" build that is quite a nice setup also. I do like DJK's better because it uses inexpensive components. That other build uses a much smaller top horn of 300mm x 300mm and a coaxial. BMS 4594HE and Lake processors for XO and EQ.

Clearly that guy has money in his endeavor. Mine will be a nit less coin adventure. :D I could use the 18 Sound 1.4" horns but already have a SEOS 18 on its way. It will be a lot heavier than the 18 Sound. Either way will see how I go.

Last edited:
"DJK, is the manta ray cabinet you show here the cab in the graph in post #3? "

No, the plans posted are for a 150hz crossover point straight horn.

The Hornresp page is using the same drivers, but a much different design that requires one gentle 90° curved bend where the horn is about 3" x 24" (similar to a Klipsch Belle, but curved in the back bend).

"DJK, is the manta ray cabinet you show here the cab in the graph in post #3? "

No, the plans posted are for a 150hz crossover point straight horn.

The Hornresp page is using the same drivers, but a much different design that requires one gentle 90° curved bend where the horn is about 3" x 24" (similar to a Klipsch Belle, but curved in the back bend).

Well I feel like an idiot now. I thought the simulation was for the Manta Ray build you did. Do you have the simulation of that dual 12 perhaps?

The simulation you did post with about 500watts was plenty loud for me. :D SO that's what I was going by for output from the Manta Ray dual 12.

I remember that design. Awesome. I look forward to seeing your sketches. I am trying to figure out how to include the SEOS 18 in the mouth of the other cut sheet you had.

Might still stick with a separate box to get the height higher off the ground without using speaker stands. Also I know the SEOS 18 will not be light. So until I see it in my hands maybe two cabinets will still be better for me.

The only thing I do like about the highs in the mouth is moving one cabinet and space savings.

Which is the new design?

Last edited:
I've done a good amount of simming sealed and ported mid bass designs (and a few horns) and I do not see much difference in output between sealed or ported. I would think ported would be more efficient... A quick google and the little info I find seems to indicate that there is little difference between the 2 for mid bass frequencies. Can someone confirm?

No thanks to anyone here :D but I found you can view directivity and other features by selecting selecting either horn or port from tools>output>port or horn. For some reason you cannot view both. There is probably a reason but that eludes me at this point of understanding hornresp. I am really learning alot fooling around. :cool:

The HS12 coaxial is looking good... That is if my simming is any good.

Semi related question. Can waveguides typically be added to coaxial speakers or is that dependent on mfr? I assume I have to remove dustcap.

I found you can view directivity and other features by selecting selecting either horn or port from tools>output>port or horn. For some reason you cannot view both. There is probably a reason but that eludes me at this point of understanding hornresp.

Hi Zwiller,

The directivity of the combined outputs is dependent upon the x, y, z coordinate locations of the two outputs in relation to each other. This information is not known to Hornresp.

Kind regards,

David

What an interesting trip researching mid horns. I find posts by DJK on nearly all the good threads out in the WWW. :D There are a lot of passionate mid bass guys out there, which confirms my suspicion I am headed in the right direction of the sound I am after. Slowly coming to terms with the fact I will need a larger cab most likely dual 12’s for my dream system but plan to build a HS12 coaxial and see how that goes.

DJK, do you have any HR data on the Mantaray? Curious how a sim with Eminence drivers would do. B&C also have some killer looking coaxials BTW. Seems like 100Hz is to midbass horns as 30Hz is the TH... Learning much more about HR. From my tinkering it appears that speaker building is a bit more forgiving than I once thought but the iron law prevails.

I emailed Eminence and they confirmed the stock waveguide is glued on and I cannot reasonably add a different one.

I'd heard his latest (not lascala) front straight dual 12pe32 b&c, crossed at 1.2khz and 150hz, they are nice.

The ppsl (dual 12) lascala looks very interesting and crossable at 100hz, livable size even at home, unlike straight horns I've been drawing up with almost 4' horn length, mouth 3' tall and 2' wide, that would have bad horizontal dispersion past 500hz........

Awesome flat plots he's made, unlike the 200hz and 140hz peaks in a typical lascala.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.