PA Mid horn ideas/help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Like a SM80?
SM-80-Front-View-cropped1-e1366048411274.png

I am pretty sure it can be. I looked at using a SM80 clone for surrounds. I am going a different route but it is possible.

Coaxial ported is looking like the direction I am headed. Starting to study HR a bit more as I am struggling to get some ported designs to sim well. I must be doing something wrong but at least I am learning... Might be even brave enough to try and create a sim for HS12.

The SM80 is horn loaded and ported. The small holes in the front are vents and the spherical front around the edge of the 12" is the horn. 80 degree's I believe. But they play LOUD.

That being said a horn loaded 12 such as the HS12 should be pretty darn loud also. Any horn loaded 12 will play plenty load. And for home use I dont think you will ever find the limits.

I have seen a 12" coaxial cabinet with passive radiators above and below the coax. Looked like three 12's. I thought that looked great for home.

I was looking at DJK's dual 12 and EV top. The EV top is nice but is very expensive shipping wise for me. I might be able to get an Autotech horn in SEOS 18 for much less money or the bigger SEOS or even the Biradial horn for the same possibly less money.

"How heavy is it? I see that it is mostly 1/2" ply. "

About 70lbs I think (I have not actually put it on a scale).

I felt the 1/2" (12mm) Baltic Birch was solid enough to use. The vertical expansion ramps (part G) are 1/4" (6mm), some were made with 3/8". The cavity behind them is filled with expanding foam. The 3/4" (18mm) motorboard has a ring about 2" wide, 10-1/2" diameter, and 1/4" deep cut into it for cone clearance, alternately a gasket could be obtained.

Any of the SEOS would probably work fine (with a 1.4" or 1.5" type driver), but you may need a DSP crossover because the depth will be different. I am experimenting with the $60 Faital Pro elliptical horn and a couple of their 1.4" drivers. I intend to mechanically align the HF section with the mids, and add some 'wings' covered with open-cell foam on the side at a 90° angle to the HF horn.

Co-ax drivers are a mixed bag, that shallow 'horn' only adds a couple of dB of 'shout', they seem to sound OK (based on their youtube video sound).

"a Belle size bifurcated horn with 12pe32 should be articulate for home use "

I was going to use two 12PE32 in push-pull, I need to take the time to make a rough sketch or the concept.

Normally the depth of the mounting plenum for PPSL determines how high it can go, but I have figured out how to eliminate the plenum for a Belle type horn.

"How heavy is it? I see that it is mostly 1/2" ply. "

About 70lbs I think (I have not actually put it on a scale).

I felt the 1/2" (12mm) Baltic Birch was solid enough to use. The vertical expansion ramps (part G) are 1/4" (6mm), some were made with 3/8". The cavity behind them is filled with expanding foam. The 3/4" (18mm) motorboard has a ring about 2" wide, 10-1/2" diameter, and 1/4" deep cut into it for cone clearance, alternately a gasket could be obtained.

Any of the SEOS would probably work fine (with a 1.4" or 1.5" type driver), but you may need a DSP crossover because the depth will be different. I am experimenting with the $60 Faital Pro elliptical horn and a couple of their 1.4" drivers. I intend to mechanically align the HF section with the mids, and add some 'wings' covered with open-cell foam on the side at a 90° angle to the HF horn.

Co-ax drivers are a mixed bag, that shallow 'horn' only adds a couple of dB of 'shout', they seem to sound OK (based on their youtube video sound).

Well I have a SEOS 18 1.4" that should be here in about a week or so?

Was looking at using a FaitalPro HF146, HF14AT or 18 Sound 4015. Most likely I will stick with the FP cd's. They are much less in money. I keep trying to find an excuse for the 4015 but for now I think saving money and getting a system up and running will be better. Then down the road I can always upgrade.

What crossover is need for the dual 12" LP and HP?

And how many watts are you using for your setup with the EV top and dual 12? Is it two amp channels or one amp channel per side?

The one system has a Crown XLS602 for the Mids, and a XLS402 for the HF, and an XLS5000 for the LF. Probably going to downsize the amps on this system, the band isn't as loud as they thought they were going to be.

Another system uses Crest V450 (150W/8Ω) for the HF, V1500 (750W4Ω) for mids, and another V1500 for LF.

The Crest have LED metering, and they all seem to run about equal for live music with no compression used.

Another system uses Crest CPX900 (180W/8Ω) for the HF, CPX1500 (500W/4Ω) for mids, and a CPX2600 (900W/4Ω) for LF.

All systems are stereo, although I did have one system in mono with a CA6 (400W/8Ω) for HF and floor wedges (750W/2Ω), and a CA9 for the four 12's (1050W/2Ω) and eight 15's (1050W/2Ω), it played 122dB on C weighted program material at 20 foot (too damn loud).

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/dkleitsch/COE08-3.jpg

Last edited:
The one system has a Crown XLS602 for the Mids, and a XLS402 for the HF, and an XLS5000 for the LF. Probably going to downsize the amps on this system, the band isn't as loud as they thought they were going to be.

Another system uses Crest V450 (150W/8Ω) for the HF, V1500 (750W4Ω) for mids, and another V1500 for LF.

The Crest have LED metering, and they all seem to run about equal for live music with no compression used.

Another system uses Crest CPX900 (180W/8Ω) for the HF, CPX1500 (500W/4Ω) for mids, and a CPX2600 (900W/4Ω) for LF.

All systems are stereo, although I did have one system in mono with a CA6 (400W/8Ω) for HF and floor wedges (750W/2Ω), and a CA9 for the four 12's (1050W/2Ω) and eight 15's (1050W/2Ω), it played 122dB on C weighted program material at 20 foot (too damn loud).

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/dkleitsch/COE08-3.jpg
I have to buy some more amps. Have a pair of Crest Pro 7200's and dont know what I am going to get. Prefer to just get some used Crest amps but I would have to view all the insides before purchasing so I could see if I can convert them easily to 240vac. All the 200 series are easily converted. The 200 series look just like the 001 series also. BUT those are heavy amps.

BUT seeing as I dont need huge power I might look at some amps here locally or even try a Behringer.

No argument I could just go with published designs such as BFM but I am enjoying learning more of the craft...

I am very intrigued with coaxials now. "Back in the day" my band ran an EV MT1 system and although most often we were lucky to get the thing running and not feeding back there were a few times (I am mature enough now to admit) that we took the time to dial it in and in those instances the coaxial tops really shined. I am very much looking forward to achieving something similar. I sincerely doubt a youtube video will give justice to the SQ of one. Every time we got it dialed in (of course when I wasn't playing) we got numerous pats on the back from spectators. It was truly musical and a different experience than most are used to. If the synergy horn is an improvement to this I understand all the rage about it. I sincerely urge anyone interested in coaxials/unity/synergy to audition them. I am just a hobbiest that likes the big toys, but if I were pro, a rig like this will get you gigs and make you money.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.