Passive subwoofer phase?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I use a passive subwoofer with a dedicated amp to drive, sounds good. Today I re-placed the sub in the room, seems there is a different feeling for low bass. Not sure if it is about the phase change.

I reversed the positive and negative connections of the subwoofer, frankly I didn't hear any difference.

Wondering if there is a phase adjusting matter for passive subwoofer? Thanks.

The different feeling in the low bass is very likely down to the effects of an acoustically small (at LF) room. Excite it from a different place, and you'll get a new frequency response.

If you're not hearing any difference by reversing the phase (presumably, with the rest of the system playing), something has gone wrong - you ought to be getting a deep null at the crossover frequency between subwoofer and main speakers.

Chris

If you're not hearing any difference by reversing the phase (presumably, with the rest of the system playing), something has gone wrong - you ought to be getting a deep null at the crossover frequency between subwoofer and main speakers.
Chris,

Subs and main speakers may not, and often don't have the same phase response at the acoustic crossover frequency, so reversing polarity may not make much difference at all, especially when the sub and mains are not co-located.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.