Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Othorn vs XOC Th118 comparison for fun.
Othorn vs XOC Th118 comparison for fun.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd February 2015, 05:04 AM   #1
Alethia123 is offline Alethia123
diyAudio Member

Default Othorn vs XOC Th118 comparison for fun.

(21sw-152-4 vs 18sw-115)

Hey ya'll. Had some fun jamming these two a/b today. Two very different monsters. Came out kinda how we expected. The xoc seems better than the othorn for psytrance, (most) house, dnb, kick drums, and anything a bit faster really. The bass is sharper from the 18" xoc, and sounds faster/more aggressive. Its considerably lighter, smaller, but several inches taller than the othorn. It does have a true deep 35hz slam to it, it is certainly not wimpy.

Where it falls short next to an othorn is with glitch hop, dub, and anything with a fat deep bassline. The othorn is gets a bit louder overall, and that extra 5hz lower extension is considerable. Those genres with deeper slower bass lines really come alive with the ground shaking and all that with the othorn. With the othorn you get this refreshing depth that you rarely hear. The xoc doesn't quite get there but its not too too far off.

Both have that impressive low 30-40hz deep "BOOM". Both have their own personalities across the response, with the othorn having an overall deeper tone throughout. We found we don't like running either over 80hz. We find both to be excellent. Hope all is well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OthornXOC1.jpg (111.4 KB, 980 views)
File Type: jpg othornxoc2.jpg (81.5 KB, 949 views)
File Type: jpg othornxoc3.jpg (102.9 KB, 930 views)

Last edited by Alethia123; 23rd February 2015 at 05:10 AM.
Old 23rd February 2015, 07:57 AM   #2
sine143 is offline sine143  United States
diyAudio Member

reinforce the mouth on the th18 with an aditional strip of 3/4 ply, that you can mount the grille too. This helps the too end ( in my real world experience), and seemed to eliminate some if the aggressive "barkiness" I experienced initially with my th18s.
Old 23rd February 2015, 02:52 PM   #3
TimLewis is offline TimLewis  England
diyAudio Member

I don't know.... "fast bass?" and "boom?"....
Though I know what you mean, with regards to deep notes verses "snappy" notes.

Any design that gets its efficiency through resonances is likely to be less defined on the kick drums and bass hits compared to the long notes. Also designs that go deeper, can often be slightly inferior on the upper bass. I often find this to be a function of the room, with outdoors being the "tightest" sounding, and the corners of concrete rooms being the most reverberant.

If you were to put two "holed" braces in a V pattern connecting the underside to either side of the driver, would that help the underside stop flexing?
Old 23rd February 2015, 05:22 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ya the othorn is mine the xoc is my buddies. ill hound him to add that brace. Overall we were very happy with the xoc.
Old 23rd February 2015, 06:05 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Pardon my laymen's terms. :-) Sounds like we need to take these things outside!!
Old 25th February 2015, 01:34 PM   #6
Zwiller is offline Zwiller  United States
diyAudio Member

So how did it sound when you ran BOTH???

I agree, take them outside and let them rip. Would be nice if someone had a Keystone you could borrow to do an ABC.
Old 25th February 2015, 01:37 PM   #7
TimLewis is offline TimLewis  England
diyAudio Member

Yeah, both a Keystone and possibly a slim version of the JBell TH Stadium
Old 25th February 2015, 05:21 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I want it to be fair when we go outside so I think we will rebuild with some bracing on the xoc. upon searching we found a few diff ways people have braced it. Also gonna figure out a clever way to add a beefy grill because boy oh boy is this 18sw115 hanging out there in the wind just begging for a dixie cup or beer can. I want to build a keystone, weltersys seems to def know his stuff. If the xoc sounds considerably better with the bracing it will be a real big winner in my eyes (because it sounds awesome already). Its such an easy and inexpensive build and it slams. Im sure this has been known be all for a long time lol. Hey sine im rebuilding my tops 3 way!!!!
Old 25th February 2015, 07:39 PM   #9
sine143 is offline sine143  United States
diyAudio Member

just build a keystone and throw one of the 18sw115 drivers in it. a tapped horn doesnt get much easier to build than the keystone

you can see what I mean by "strips of 3/4" in the mouth. also shows how the grille was mounted. i put foam on the grilles shortly after this pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1064848_301634766707134_8694834080611731643_o.jpg (262.5 KB, 838 views)
Old 26th February 2015, 02:06 PM   #10
Zwiller is offline Zwiller  United States
diyAudio Member

+1 as to Keystone. I get that the XOC gets the love being a DSL clone, but the Keystone goes lower and louder than XOC. I would think performance wise it would be close to what you were after which is exactly why I suggested it. I don't hang here as often as I'd like but I think this would be first "shootout" I've seen and adding the 'stone to it would be really neat.

Othorn vs XOC Th118 comparison for fun.Hide this!Advertise here!