Othorn vs XOC Th118 comparison for fun.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
21Ipal works decently in the Othorn cab. Response is rougher and requires a bit of EQ shaping to smooth it out. Output headroom is of course even greater than with the 21sw152 or 21nlw9601. The issue is getting an amp to power them well. Thats not an issue if you wire a block of 4 in series. They are available at a number of outlets now including Amazon and USSpeaker. I'm selling a pair of mine myself.

Has anyone had a Keystone and an Othorn at the same time. Diggin this thread out of the garbage. I have thr keystone and have been throwing around the idea of building an othorn to get the needed extension for some low edm tracks.
We built all three, the TH18, the Othorn and the Keystone. We were not impressed with the Othorn. Some low notes but output was lacking SPL. The Keystone bass lacked extension but was high output and I would say the most uncoloured bass you could get. Absolutley smooth, a pleasure to listen to. What impressed us for the low end extension was the Scientific Cab designed by TB46. Try this, you won't be disappointed. You will hear thick low end in the 20's that you did not realize was in some tracks with enough SPL to rattle everything in your neighbours house. Check the post 491 in $325 Lab 12 based PA tapped horn. ~35hz extension.

We built all three, the TH18, the Othorn and the Keystone. We were not impressed with the Othorn. Some low notes but output was lacking SPL. The Keystone bass lacked extension but was high output and I would say the most uncoloured bass you could get. Absolutley smooth, a pleasure to listen to. What impressed us for the low end extension was the Scientific Cab designed by TB46. Try this, you won't be disappointed. You will hear thick low end in the 20's that you did not realize was in some tracks with enough SPL to rattle everything in your neighbours house. Check the post 491 in $325 Lab 12 based PA tapped horn. ~35hz extension.

What model of driver did you use in the Othorn?
Do you have a link to a build thread for the cabinet?
I've never heard anyone say it lacked output. :scratch1:

What impressed us for the low end extension was the Scientific Cab designed by TB46. Try this, you won't be disappointed. You will hear thick low end in the 20's that you did not realize was in some tracks with enough SPL to rattle everything in your neighbours house. Check the post 491 in $325 Lab 12 based PA tapped horn. ~35hz extension.

If this is the post in question, it looks like a nice design, but the sim suggests that it's 25dB down by 20 Hz (and it will be a bit more IRL due to losses). Looks like you'd need to brace it well too.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subw...apped-horn-35hz-extension-46.html#post4350787

Scientific,

I looked at post #491 to #451. There are quite a few revisions to the design. I posted on that thread regarding drawings and results. Any chance you can hop over to that thread and point me to the exact drawings you used. On paper the Othorn seems to go a fair amount lower and as loud as the keystone. But I do realize the real world sound characteristics of a subwoofer can be very different.

Ricci, I'm a huge fan of your work and have seen many good reviews of the Othorn, so i'm tempted to build both. I just need to rob a truck of B&C 18 SW115's first haha. I do not enjoy woodworking that much and have little free time, so maximum bang per hours of woodworking is a big seller for me. Watts not wood haha.

The aggressive attack/impact sound of the keystone and tham subwoofers is what I love compared to the BFM Tubas all my friends rave about. I think while they are efficient they are boomy and can drone. Kick drums on Tubas are more like a boom than an impact. I"m curious how the othorn sounds. I do listen to a lot of rolling dubstep songs that might favor the Othorn.

Thanks,

Does anyone have a good idea of what the max continuous SPL is for the Keystone, TH18 and the Othorn? The Danley TH-118 specs say 137dB continuous but I suspect this would be a fair bit over the B&C 18SW115's xmax.

Has someone measured the TH118 driver’s xmas at rated power? If not, we don’t know if/how much the driver is exceeding xmax for sure. I haven’t seen that info anywhere. There’s different loading on that driver in that cab, compared to the DIY TH18 (as seen in the impedance plot).

What model of driver did you use in the Othorn?
Do you have a link to a build thread for the cabinet?
I've never heard anyone say it lacked output. :scratch1:
We used the 18SW115 in the othorn
The cabinet plans are in $325 Lab 12 based PA tapped horn. ~35hz extension posts 455, 456 and 457 (bracing). We used a lot of screws during the build to ensure no rattling or harmonics.
The Scientific cab was designed to be used either as a keystone or a tapped horn. We built the tapped horn version.
When we tested Art's keystone, we used the B&C 21DS115. Big sound !!

We used the 18SW115 in the othorn
The cabinet plans are in $325 Lab 12 based PA tapped horn. ~35hz extension posts 455, 456 and 457 (bracing). We used a lot of screws during the build to ensure no rattling or harmonics.
The Scientific cab was designed to be used either as a keystone or a tapped horn. We built the tapped horn version.
When we tested Art's keystone, we used the B&C 21DS115. Big sound !!

Scentific, I reviewed the plans in those posts. They show a modified keystone style opening. The pictures you posted later show a traditional Large horn mouth opening. Did you ever end up building TB46's modified keystone opening?

I am still debating on subwoofer designs with extension close to 30 hz. It looks like the TB46 TH18 SC is flat to about 35hz with -5dB @ 30 hz. Arts Keystone w/18sw115 runs flat to 40hz with -7dB @ 30Hz (Arts actual measurements).

Its tough to decide between the Othorn, TH18SC, and the Keystone. I really dont want to lose the magic of my current keystones performance. What do you prefer about your sub over the keystone, just the extra 5 hz extension or do you have any comments on the subwoofers "sound". How many TH18SC's did you end up building? I just ordered some more 18SW115's for $429. Thanks,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.