Othorn vs XOC Th118 comparison for fun.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found a few images just like this which show your drawing was right on the money. I don't necessarily think this is a good idea, I think it's why this design is famous for shredding cones.

Overlap_TH118_TH115_01.jpg

Simulating a throat chamber will show clearly the effect of the cone divot. Even for a large cone like an 18 inch driver it really doesn't make much difference. This is verified with Ricci's measurements. Hornresp doesn't have enough segments to sim this though, it would need to be done with Akabak.

Hmmm...I have a pair of TH 115's, and every time I have inquired into the potential of turning them into TH 118's by swapping for the 4 ohm 18SW115's and doing a little woodwork, all I hear is discouragement ..."don't try it". This drawing makes it look like a super easy project. I would assume that the shelf that restricts the horn path on the back side would be trimmed to just what is needed to accommodate the driver. Anything else I should be aware of?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Resale value. The value will effectively drop to $0 as soon as you start cutting it up. I wouldn't do that. Build a new one from scratch.

Also, that's just a pic I found on the internet. I have no idea how accurate it might be. Although I found a few other pics just like it, but you never know, maybe somebody just guessed and other people followed along. Either way, I wouldn't cut into a several thousand dollar commercial sub based on that picture, or really for any reason.

This drawing makes it look like a super easy project. I would assume that the shelf that restricts the horn path on the back side would be trimmed to just what is needed to accommodate the driver. Anything else I should be aware of?
RP,

Since you are interested in better performance rather than keeping your cabinets "stock", just be aware that although the 18SW115-4 can put out much more output than the 15", it also takes much more power to achieve that output, so an amp appropriately sized for the 15" won't get you much level change.

Other than that, you might consider gasketing the sub-panel so the change is easily put back to normal if you do think you may sell the cabinets in the future.

That said, I'd pay more for a TH-15 retrofitted with an 18SW115-4, like cars, you pay more for more displacement.

Art

Well, I just let my friend borrow my pair of xoc1 th18 (v1, no cone correction), as he just received a pair of th118 from danley for testing. My cabs are 18 nlw 9601 8 ohm loaded.

I had work today so u was unfortunatly not able to attend.

No measurements were taken, but I immediatly received a txt to tell me that subjectively "the danley are much cleaner" I am unsure if his danley are 4 or 8 ohm cabs

Sine143, can you give us some more feedback on the comparison, especially the output, SPL. Is one noticeably louder than the other or would you say the difference is hard to detect?

A sound engineer/avid user of 4-12 (and a few times 16-32) TH-118s used my (4) 18SW100-loaded TH18s for an outdoor event and reported back that he couldn't tell much difference in output nor quality. There was no A/B testing involved. No testing equipment that I'm aware of. Just usage and his memory. Take it for what it's worth :)

Hmmm...I have a pair of TH 115's, and every time I have inquired into the potential of turning them into TH 118's by swapping for the 4 ohm 18SW115's and doing a little woodwork, all I hear is discouragement ..."don't try it". This drawing makes it look like a super easy project. I would assume that the shelf that restricts the horn path on the back side would be trimmed to just what is needed to accommodate the driver. Anything else I should be aware of?
There are other option you could go with this B&C woofer in place of the TBX100 more power handling same bolt circle and parameters are very close.
B&C Speakers
or you could use this neo B&C woofer however different bolt circle but it would be easier than putting in a 18" B&C Speakers

I'm going to have a Othorn built to do a little A&B my current rig consists of 4 SPLtd-1's and a DBH218 sub I may get another DBH218 or 4 Othorn's

Attachments

• IMG_0068-2.JPG
    IMG_0068-2.JPG
    385.1 KB · Views: 618
Last edited:
A sound engineer/avid user of 4-12 (and a few times 16-32) TH-118s used my (4) 18SW100-loaded TH18s for an outdoor event and reported back that he couldn't tell much difference in output nor quality. There was no A/B testing involved. No testing equipment that I'm aware of. Just usage and his memory. Take it for what it's worth :)

That sounds good. Which plan (in which post) did you use to build your TH18s? Was it one with cone correction as in Post 81?

That's interesting, as the TH118 has a 28 Hz Fb, which is quite a bit lower than the TH18 if I remember the design correctly. OTOH, there's not much music down below 35 Hz or thereabouts, so...

off topic
I'm not sure where he was high-passing. And I'm not sure if much sub-35Hz content was played at said event.
your pm box is full:eek:
so i try this way
from the 30hz topic
Quick post before bed, after a long two weeks:
Four of these are closed up, loaded with B&C 18SW115 and making floors flex. Yes, there's more bracing throughout. More pictures and impressions later.
like to hear more about this one
Has anyone used the B&C 21IPAL woofer in the Othorn and if so can you tell about there results? Thanks
the ipal woofers and amps are only availeble to oem's
now a day you need tho buy 100's of amps at powersoft ,you cannot buy singles.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.